Agents of the Twelve

Assignment 3: The Necromancer

(5461) tic: *Session Start*
(5461) DM: Six days since the team’s brush with Karrnathi forces, they are summoned to the back room of Alloran’s. Tomai is waiting for them, as usual, and folders are placed at each seat.
(5461) DM: He motions for them to sit. “It seems that Karrnath has a greater presence in Sharn than we thought.” he says. Ho motions for them to open their folders. Inside is a sketch of a young human man, no more than twenty or so.

  • (5476) Gitto opens the folder and looks at the information inside **
    (5461) DM: “This man, Theran Dalnir, is the apprentice of the necromancer you encountered while rescuing Urdan.”
    (5481) Sithobi1 (enter): 20:35
  • (5474) Darrin opwns his folder and looks over the pictures **
    (5465) Sil: ((OMG He’s alive!))
    (5474) Darrin: ((Woot! Welcome!))
    (5461) DM: ((Ooop. Okay, hold on, gonna resend those few lines for Sith))
    (5461) DM: Six days since the team’s brush with Karrnathi forces, they are summoned to the back room of Alloran’s. Tomai is waiting for them, as usual, and folders are placed at each seat.
    (5461) DM: He motions for them to sit. “It seems that Karrnath has a greater presence in Sharn than we thought.” he says. Ho motions for them to open their folders. Inside is a sketch of a young human man, no more than twenty or so.
  • (5474) Darrin opens his folder and looks over the picture **
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “This man, Theran Dalnir, is the apprentice of the necromancer you encountered while rescuing Urdan.”
  • (5465) Sil examines the man in the picture, but doesn’t say anything. **
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “We are still unsure of the number of Karrns in Sharn. We need someone who knows enough, but who is not powerful enough to make capture a difficult option.”
  • (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin motions at the folders. “Dalnir fits perfectly.” **
    (5474) Darrin: "so it would seem… " darrin says. “How much has he learned of these unnatural arts?”
    (5476) Gitto: “so… bring this man… a necromancer.. back alive”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “We don’t believe he has the skill to create undead.”
  • (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin nods at Gitto. “Exactly. We have received information that he is currently staying at an inn in the Middle city, while his mistress searches for…” the half-elf smirks a little “new lodgings.” **
    (5476) Gitto: “we have to worry about him having the power to escape us is all…”
    (5476) Gitto: “shackles might be a good idea..”
    (5481) Sithobi1: “Can he command the great numbers of undead we saw previously? If so…he could prove dangerous. Even if he cannot create them, having control is almost as bad.”
  • (5474) Darrin nods in agreement **
    (5465) Sil: “If it is neccessary, could we kill the man and have Jorasco ressurect him after we bring him to a secure area?”
    (5476) Gitto: ((we have a cleric here… invisibility to undead could be useful))
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “It is unlikely. He may have some undead servitors, but if he had the skill of his mistress, he would not be an apprentice, would he?.”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “No. Aside from the cost, ressurection magic, I am told, does not work that way.”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “The man’s soul could simply refuse to return.”
  • (5465) Sil nods his head slightly, tapping his finger upon his chin, making the clackity-clack of metal upon metal. “But he should not know we are his enemies. Perhaps we could gain access to him by deception?” **
    (5474) Darrin: “There are ways of making dead men talk against their will… BUt that is rather.. expensive… Taking him alive is the best answer..”
  • (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin spreads his hands in a ‘whatever’ gesture. “How you go about it is your concern. So long as you return him, alive, I am satisfied.” **
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Your payment, if you choose to accept, would be one hundred and fifty gold, each.”
    (5474) Darrin: “What information of hsi whereabouts do we have?”
    (5465) Sil: “And how much time do we have before his Mistress will be likely to be in position to protect him?”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “We have the inn and room he is booked in for the next three days. As for protection, she will be otherwise occupied in the immediate future.”
    (5461) DM: Again, the light smirk brushes across the half-elf’s lips.
    (5474) Darrin: “This sounds a little too easy… And if something sounds too easy it is probably the opposite…”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “True enough. But I have faith in your abilities.”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “So. Do you accept?”
    (5465) Sil: “Of course.”
    (5474) Darrin: Certainly…
  • (5474) Darrin looks over the picture again after giving his responce. **
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Good. In your folders, you will find the address of the inn where he is lodged, and another not far from it where you are to take him. You will then return here, where you will receive your payment.”
    (5476) Gitto: “yeas”
    (5476) Gitto: “shackles?”
    (5481) Axis: “What about shackles?”
    (5474) Darrin: Poison….
    (5474) Darrin: “A good poison will make him unncontious…. carry him out under the desiguese of a drunk…”
    (5474) Darrin: ((Drow Poison.. 75gp 13 dc ))
  • (5465) Sil grabs the information, as well as the picture. “Manackles aren’t difficult to come by – I know of a number of stores which carry them.” **
  • (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin reaches into his jacket and produces a small pouch of gold. “This should cover shackles easily. Poisons… Yes, that’s a valid approach. I can give you a contact, but I’m afraid you will have to pay for them yourself.” **
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Or out of your team’s Goodwill fund.”
    (5481) Axis: Or a very heavy suit of armor, one that doesn’t allow much movement.
    (5465) Sil: Sil shakes his head. “That would be a little more of a trial than manackles, I believe.
    (5465) Sil: Though likely less difficult to disguise, I will admit.”
    (5474) Darrin: “Yes, dressing a man in armour is a bit hard to do… Mantacles or poison are the best routes….”
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: ((The pouch holds ten gp))
    (5481) Axis: "If we can keep him still long enough to apply and lock manacles, armor will not take much longer.’
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: “An unconscious man in heavy armour in an inn is likely to draw more attention than a drunk. I will leave the decision to you, but do try and remain invisible.”
    (5474) Darrin: “true enough…” Darrin concedes
    (5465) Sil: “Of course. A big robe should help in disguising his manacles – we could likely find one in the same shop I’m planning on getting the manacles from.”
    (5476) Gitto: “anything is better than nothing”
    (5476) Gitto: “if we do not use them… we can use them on the next guy”
    (5476) Gitto: “he wont be the last I think”
    (5481) Axis: “And someone in manacles is likely to attract less attention than someone in mail?”
    (5465) Sil: “Only if the manacles are visible. This is why I suggested the robe.”
    (5465) Sil: “Not to mention manacles are much cheaper.”
    (5474) Darrin: “I will grab a poison, if ti works it will eb the easiest… if he has the fortitude to resist it then we can move onto the mantacles or armour…”
    (5465) Sil: ((Darrin, I hate to be a bother… but there’s no T in manacles))
    (5481) Axis: (Tentacles, mantacles…Hrm…)
  • (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin produces a quill from within his jacket and scrawls an address on the same sheet of paper as the other addresses. “This is an inn in the lower city. Ask for ‘Toothy Tagan’, and tell them you represent Teimi. He will be able to supply you with poisons or, if not, direct you to another who can.” **
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: ((You’re not getting Ervard’s Black Manacles))
    (5481) Axis: “What about actually getting the man…drunk?”
    (5481) Axis: That’ll be cheapest and easiest.
    (5474) Darrin: ((hehe.. thanks for correcting me.. i’m a terrible speller))
    (5465) Sil: “We could always attempt both.”
    (5465) Sil: “Put the poison in a drink we, or I should say one of us, buys him at the bar of the inn.”
    (5465) Sil: “Of course, this would be simpler if one of us was more… feminine, but unfortunately our party is not equipped well to sedduce most of the male gender.”
    (5481) Axis: “Again, if we’re noticed, that would cause more problems than if we simply continue buying drinks. And there will be many people there; who knows how many might be looking at any one time?”
    (5474) Darrin: Then drunk will be our first option…" Darrin says to Axis.. " then poison…"
  • (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin rises from his seat. “Then I will let you get on with it. I have some business to attend to as well.” he gestures to the door, indicating they should leave. **
  • (5474) Darrin rises, “we shall deliver the man shortly….” he says as he leaves… **
    (5465) Sil: Sil nods his head as he grabs his hat, placing it back upon his head as he leaves.
    (5465) Sil: As he walks out of the building, Sil leads the group to a nearby shop. The outside of it read ’Jak’s Exotic Pleasantries’ and featured a very pink, very flowery logo.
    (5465) Sil: The inside of the shop mainly contains flowers, clothing, and other gift-type items, but Sil simply nods at the proprietor as he walks into a back room which contains more… exotic implements of pleasure. Shortly afterwards, he comes out with a rather fine pair of steel manacles.
    (5465) Sil: He also grabs a large, brown robe from a hanger and walks to the shopkeep and purchases the goods.
    (5461) Tomai ir’Fallin: ((… Why does the warforged know where to buy kinky sex toys?))
    (5465) Sil: ((He likes experimenting with various humanoid emotions)
    (5474) Darrin: ((lol… he wants to know what it is liek to be human.. think data on stra trek who had sex.. but this time it is kinky))
    (5465) Sil: ((exactly, Darrin))
    (5461) DM: ((Ow. I think I just hurt my mind. Carry on.))
    (5465) Sil: ((and, of course, he shows absolutely no embarrasment for any of this))
    (5474) Darrin: ((HEHE… btw, just assume that darrin purchased a single vial of drow poison before reconvinging with the group… unless yo uwnat me to RP it))
  • (5474) Darrin smiles… “Ian interesting palce you’ve taken us too…” he says **
    (5461) DM: ((You came straight from Allorna’s to Sil’s nook of nasty, so…))
    (5474) Darrin: ((kk.. then I’ll role play it if you’d like…))
  • (5474) Darrin “Do they sell.. poison here… ?” he whispers to Sil **
    (5461) DM: ((Tomai gave you the address))
    (5465) Sil: Sil shakes his head. “They sell pleasurable drinks and such, but I don’t believe they’re conventionally classified as poisons, no.”
    (5465) Sil: ((No, not even roofies:/))
    (5474) Darrin: “then we shall go to the palce Tamai has suggested….”
    (5465) Sil: “Agreed. After you, Darrin?”
  • (5474) Darrin nods as he heads out he door **
  • (5476) Gitto does as expected *
    (5461) DM: A skycoach trip later, the team is standing before a tavern in the Lower city. It is, quite frankly, disgraceful. The walls are caked with dirt and grime, to the extent that when touched, your fingers come away black. The locals care primarily human and half-orc, but a few goblinoids lurk in the corners. The barman, a fat, balding human, is washing glasses in water that looks as though it’s been used for the last twelve loads.
    (5461) DM: ((
    standing inside, rather))
    (5481) Axis: “I’m having no part of this poison business. Even at the best of times, poison is chancy.”
    (5474) Darrin: darrin quickly makes his way over to the Barkeep. “I am looking for Toothy Tagan, I am on business for Teimi”
    (5465) Sil: Sil whispers to Axis. “It is no more dangerous than flames or swords, especially when made properly. Poisons are simpler more subtle than the normal ways of dealing with problems.”
    (5461) DM: The man doesn’t even raise an eyebrow, just grunts and nods towards three goblins and a human, huddled in a corner booth.
    (5474) Darrin: Darrin gives to reply to the barkeep as he makes his way to the human with the goblins.. " an unsavory lot…" he thinsk to himself as he approaches them…
  • (5476) Gitto stays in the background ready to bounce heads… **
    (5465) Sil: Sil stays at the back, crossing his arms and attempting to look big and menacing.
    (5461) DM: As they approach, the human looks up at them, smiles with rotting teeth, and excuses himself. One of the goblins studies them for a moment before offering in a voice unpleasant for even a goblin “Yeah?”
    (5474) Darrin: I"I am here to speak with Toothy Tagan…" darrin says in reply…
    (5461) DM: The goblin grins, revealing a mouth of far too many tiny, needle-like teeth. “You’ve found ‘im. What’re y’after?”
    (5474) Darrin: “On business for Teimi.. I need a bit of…” he says as he pauses “poison…” he says softly.. “Nothing deadly, jsut enough to cause a man to sleep a bit… fast acting…”
    (5461) DM: The goblin nods. “Sure, sure. Not cheap, though. Not cheap.” he pauses, as though pondering. “Say… eigh’y gold?”
    (5474) Darrin: "Your gouging me… " Darrin says with a smile… "but it seems fair… he says as he pulls a few coind out of a coin purse on his side “There is eight gold in this purse…” he says as he holds it, placing the coind re removed int oanother pouch…
    (5465) Sil: ((eight?))
    (5474) Darrin: {{Opps ment eighty))
    (5474) Darrin: ((forgot the “y” lol))
    (5461) DM: ((Sorry, are you trying some sleight of hand here, or actually giving him the eighty?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((givign him eighty))
    (5474) Darrin: ((The pouch had 100 in it. had to take it down to eighty))
    (5461) DM: The goblin takes the pouch and slides it down the table to one of the other goblins, who begins counting it. Tagan then slips out of his seat, falling a little off the human-designed height. “Back in a bit.” he says, then walks around behind the bar. A minute later, he emerges and makes his way back to the seat. He looks to his counting companion, who gives him a nod, then produces a flask from his coat, no bigger than a human thumb. “Potent stuff. Have fun, and come back next time you need to be gouged.” He grins again.
    (5465) Sil: Sil stays stock-still near the entrance and waits for the others to exit the tavern before following them out.
    (5474) Darrin: “Well have to see how ywel lthis works first…” he says pocketing the bottle, “Before I leave, can it be ingested or does it need.. direct application to the blood stream?”
    (5474) Darrin: ((ywel = well… Sry, eating while typing atm))
    (5461) DM: ((Hmm… Ok, it’s an injury poison. Do injury poisons function as ingested?))
    (5465) Sil: ((I have no idea))
    (5481) Axis: (No)
    (5474) Darrin: ((did not knwo if you were giving me drow poison or not… ))
    (5461) DM: ((My logic’s thinking they would, so unless anyone’s got anything that specifically states otherwise…))
    (5476) Gitto: ((its injury,… with a wound))
    (5476) Gitto: ((contact you can do with a touch attack))
    (5465) Sil: ((Ingestion isn’t either a touch attack or wounding))
    (5476) Gitto: (reg attack injury)
    (5461) DM: ((Hmm. Nevermind, all good. I found a solution))
    (5476) Gitto: yes
    (5476) Gitto: (no ingested)
    (5474) Darrin: ((I only sked because i’m keeping it in cahracter.. did not know if the poison was drow poison or not))
    (5461) DM: ((Nono, good point.))
    (5461) DM: The goblin nods. “Slip it in their drink they’ll be stone cold within the minute. Unless they’re a dwarf, of course, but that’s a different tale altogether, ain’t it?”
    (5474) Darrin: Me chuckles… “Yes, yes it is…”
    (5474) Darrin: “I will see you again…” darrin says to the man as he turns to leave…
    (5461) DM: Their shady business concluded, the team turns their attention to the abduction.
    (5474) Darrin: Approachign the door, darrin says “Let’s be on our way….”
    (5476) Gitto: “i am ready”
    (5461) DM: Another skycoach trip, and they are in Firelight, Sharn’s red light district. The streets and paths are lined with brothels and cheap taverns, and young and not-so-young women (and a few men) showing far more flesh than is generally considered acceptable for public display.
    (5461) DM: Ignoring the solicitations, the team makes their way to the Griffin’s Head, a little inn-and-tavern squished between a large, two story tavern and a resteurant that looks surprisingly decent, given the surroundings.
    (5461) DM: Theran Dalnir is lodged here, in room four, according to Tomai’s information.
    (5465) Sil: Sil looks at the tavern before turning back to the group. “We should probably come up with a decent reason for being here. Are we celebrating some great victory against evil? Perhaps little Darrin is having a birthday party. Whatever we decide, we should have a story ready.”
    (5474) Darrin: We might be too large of a party.. four of us.. maybe we should enter as two seperate groups…
    (5465) Sil: “Something that would allow us to act flamboyantly would be preferred, I believe – it would let us get close to the mark without being too suspicious.”
    (5474) Darrin: Darrin chuckles a bit.. a flamboyant warforged is a funny thought
    (5465) Sil: “Either that, or we could create a false brawl. Knock into the man, buy him a drink to apologize.”
    (5465) Sil: “Many choices, but if he isn’t in the main room we may have trouble.”
    (5474) Darrin: That is a good idea Merrin says to Sil.. a decent reason for us to be perchasing him a drink…
    (5474) Darrin: ((Grr Darrin…))
    (5465) Sil: “I rather like it myself. What do you think, me and you get into it, you knock him over, pour in the poison? Gitto and Axis could provide backup if the brawl gets serious.”
    (5481) Axis: “Let’s try just talking to him first.”
    (5474) Darrin: Four of us walking int ot talk to him, might be a bit odd don;t you think..
    (5476) Gitto: “how much we we really care?”
    (5474) Darrin: I say one of us go in and scout the place first…
    (5476) Gitto: “I could go in there… bite him and drag him out for all I care”
    (5474) Darrin: Darrin shrugs, I’m sure you could beat down half the tavern and take him.. but that would cause a bit of notice…
    (5465) Sil: “We need to be invisible, remember?”
    (5465) Sil: “We should not bring too much notice to this.”
    (5465) Sil: “I will head in first, you all stagger your way in. We shouldn’t appear to be one group.”
    (5465) Sil: “First, though…”
    (5476) Gitto: “hmmm yeah… that is annoying”
  • (5465) Sil casts Message upon Darrin and Axis. **
    (5461) DM: ((Just pointing out that “invisible” mainly just means ‘people don’t remember you’. In the chaos of a brawl…))
    (5474) Darrin: Darrin nods in agreement to Gitto… "Your way would be much faster… "
    (5476) Gitto: “I will come last… that makes sense right?”
    (5465) Sil: ((true, but we could also get arrested by any passing guards))
    (5465) Sil: Sil removes his hat as he walks into the bar.
    (5474) Darrin: "Guess we take this as it goes… " Darrin says before heading into the bar a few moments after Sil… leaving enough time for his arrival to no be linked
    (5461) DM: The tavern is small, but clean, the smell of what could be lavender wafting through the air. There are six round tables, each large enough to fit six people without being especially crowded. Only three are occupied, however a group that could only be an adventuring party, a human, elf, half-orc and warforged sit enjoying themselves, talking rather loudly about their recent victory over Khyber-spawn in some Brelish village, a greasy-looking fat man sits with a ravishing young woman, trying to ignore the rowdy adventurers, and Theran Dalnir sits across from another, older-looking man, eating and sipping from a glass of wine. His companion has no food or drink before him.
    (5474) Darrin: ((Are there seats at the bar?))
    (5461) DM: ((Six))
    (5465) Sil: Sil approaches the bar, tipping his hat towards the woman as he passes her, and leans down onto a stool three down from Dalnir.
    (5465) Sil: Plopping a few coins onto the bartop, Sil flashes the barkeep a smile. “A mug of your strongest ale, good sir!”
    (5461) DM: ((Nono, sorry, he’s at a table))
    (5465) Sil: ((making me sad Sil’s still going to the bar, then))
    (5461) DM: The barkeep nods with a smile. “Yessir.” he says as he fills a sparkling glass mug from the rightmost of three kegs behind him.
    (5474) Darrin: Entering, Darrin makes his way to the bar but does not take a seat. “A shot!” he says in an overly obnoxious voice “I don’t care what.. just a shot and a ale… he says as he sounds a bit drunk…”
    (5474) Darrin: Skills: Bluff Check [1d20+15] => [12,15] = (27)
    (5461) DM: Putting the glass before Sil, he scoops up the coins. “And how’s your day been?”
    (5474) Darrin: ((Not sure on the proper check to fake being drunk… bluff?))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Aye))
    (5476) Gitto: y
    (5476) Gitto: ((unless you have Profession (Drunk Bum) ranks…))
    (5474) Darrin: ((then Darrin shold be a convincing drunkard))
  • (5461) Barkeep looks up at Darrin. “Certainly, sir. Hold on a minute, I’ll be right with you.” **
    (5474) Darrin: ((lol))
  • (5461) Barkeep taps on the bar to indicate that Darrin should pay. **
    (5465) Sil: Sil nods towards the barkeep. “Most excellent! I made quite the sale today to a… collector of… fine art, shall we say? And now I celebrate my good fortune!”
    (5474) Darrin: "
    (5465) Sil: [1d20+7] => [15,7] = (22)
    (5474) Darrin: wantin’ your pay before you even put down my order…’ he says as he palces a gold coin on the counter.. “that should buy me a few…”
    (5476) Gitto: ((afk 10-15 mins… have to put daughter down))
    (5465) Sil: ((that’s bluff, BTW))
  • (5461) Barkeep ignores Darrin’s complaints, talking to Sil as he pours the ‘drunk’ a glass from the leftmost barrel. “Good news then. What is it that you sell, if I might ask?” **
    (5465) Sil: Sil flashes a metal-y smile. “Why, fine art, as I said! Statues, drawings, the occasional feminine figure!”
    (5474) Darrin: “Where’s my shot….” he says as he takes a drink from the glass
    (5461) Barkeep: “Ahh. Good business?” he asks as he pours a small glass of some thick, black liquid and hands it to Darrin.
    (5465) Sil: “Of course, I’m not good enough to create anything like that myself. More things I find or otherwise acquire. Very profitable, when you’re good.”
    (5465) Sil: [1d20+7] => [9,7] = (16) Bluff
    (5474) Darrin: “About time!” Darrin says as he slams the drink and chases with twith a drink fo his ale….
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Darrin, can I get a Fort save?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((i’m goign ot use the one roll for bluff untill you want another one…))
    (5474) Darrin: Saving Throws: Fortitude [1d20+2] => [16,2] = (18)
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Aye, that’s fine. One for each deceit, I figure))
    (5465) Sil: ((‘k, that works fine by me too – nice fort save, BTW))
    (5474) Darrin: ((yeah, i was nervous…))
    (5461) Barkeep: The stuff tastes like licquorice, and sends a vaguely pleasant chill down Darrin’s spine.
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Sith, what’s Axis doing, if anything?))
    (5465) Sil: Sil looks over at Darrin, grinning at the sight of the drink going down his throat. “Ha! You got yourself a woman’s drink! Been a long time since I’ve seen a man willingly imbibe that candy-coated trash!”
    (5481) Axis: ((Waiting with Gitto for a while, until Sil signals him through the Message))
    (5474) Darrin: “Waht was that…” darrin says… “What would an abomination liek you know about men and women….” he says as he stands up and moves over towards Sil…
    (5461) Barkeep: “Might want to keep your voice down there. That guy had three or four last night.” he nods his head towards Theran. “He’s Karrnathi, so… I dunno, maybe the stuff reminds him of home.”
    (5461) Barkeep: “Take a seat there, friend. I don’t tolerate violence in this establishment.”
    (5461) Barkeep: “Here” he says, refilling the glass. “Have another shot.”
    (5474) Darrin: ((Can you show me where the tables are in realtion to where sil and the bar is? most importantly Theran…))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Oh, aye, sorry))
    (5474) Darrin: Seeing the shot Darrin thinks to himself… “Jsut wanted the one for show.. too many and i’l lreally be drunk…”
    (5474) Darrin: ((Holdign action till i can see what the room set up is…))
    (5465) Sil: Sil grins over at Darrin as he grabs the shot the barkeep poured him, then tipped the glass into his own mug before swishing it around a bit and downing the whole thing.
    (5465) Sil: ((he took Darrin’s new shot of candy-drink))
    (5465) Sil: Sil brings his hands up to his throat in an imitation of a gag, attempting to make the normal human-choking noises as he stares at Darrin’s face.
    (5465) Sil: Finally, he breaks out laughing as he shakes his head and tips his glass back to the bartender. “Just as I thought – even mixed with a real man’s drink, the stuff tastes worse than your mother!”
    (5474) Darrin: “What would a walking statue know about taste… Can a thing even taste?” he says as he pours a bit of his cup on the chair.. “excue me chair? did that taste good?” he says as he laughes… “Should have turned you all off after the war….” he says
    (5465) Sil: Sil turns and pushes Darrin backwards, into the table behind him. “And we should have kept on marching and finished you fleshies off!”
    (5465) Sil: Sil whispers slightly as Darrin begins to fall. “Now would be a good time to enter, Axis.”
    (5461) Barkeep: ((AFK one tick))
    (5474) Darrin: ((kk lets hold off till we see where everyoen is located in the room…))
    (5476) Gitto: bak
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Ok, back.))
    (5476) Gitto: when he sees Axis enter… he’ll start counting and come in 144 counts later…
    (5461) Barkeep: ((The circle-like objects are, obviously, tables))
    (5461) Barkeep: The entire tavern is quiet. The adventurers are all looking intently at the brawl in the making, as is Theran’s companion, while Theran himself and the couple look more scared than anything else, eyeing possible escape routes.
    (5476) Gitto: ((who has the poison btw?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((Are you going to palce the peopel around? they all seem to be in the corner to me :-) ))
    (5474) Darrin: ((darrin does))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Oh?))
    (5465) Sil: ((Darrin has the poison))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Uhh… they’re scattered across tables…))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Who else sees them all top-left?
    (5465) Sil: ((they’re all in the top-left to me))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((And can everyone see six tables and a bar))
    (5474) Darrin: ((yeah for me they are all i nthe corner…))
    (5474) Darrin: ((I see 6 tables and a bar.. and everyoen in the corner….))
    (5461) Barkeep: Ok…
    (5465) Sil: ((I see the bar and tables and such))
    (5474) Darrin: ((hey, if everyone is in a dog pile in the corner, it woudl be easy for us to get near him! lol))
    (5476) Gitto: ((better off in a warforges hands… can’t be affected by the poison!! but we will just hope you don’t hit the 5%))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Can someone grab “Theran” and move him?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((yeah.. hehe… darn 5%))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Everyone see that?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((yes))
    (5465) Sil: Weee
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Is Theran now in the top-left, then right one?))
    (5465) Sil: ((See everything good))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((ie, at the table?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((yes.. he os))
    (5476) Gitto: ((one of those men the bartender?))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((No))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Ok, where’s the warforged/golem for everyone?))
    (5474) Darrin: ((at the bar))
    (5465) Sil: ((next to the bar))
    (5481) Axis: Axis enters the room, cloak shrouding his movements, hood up. He sits at a table close to their target, back against the wall.
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Bugger…))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Uhm… ok, hold on. I have a cunning plan.
    (5474) Darrin: ((hehe ok))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Ok, I’ve MSN’d Sith the layout. He’s going to arrange stuff))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((AFK one tick while that happens))
    (5474) Darrin: ((brb 5 min))
    (5481) Axis: ((There we go))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Ok. Everyone got that?))
    (5465) Sil: ((aye aye, cap’n))
    (5474) Darrin: ((Back))
    (5474) Darrin: ((looks good))
    (5461) DM: The entire tavern is quiet. The adventurers are all looking intently at the brawl in the making, as is Theran’s companion, while Theran himself and the couple look more scared than anything else, eyeing possible escape routes.
    (5474) Darrin: “All right all right….” darrin says as he get’s shoved back to the table… “No need to get your metal panties in a bunch…” he says as he moves away from Sil and towards the fat man at the table…
    (5474) Darrin: Takign a seat at the fat mans table with beer in hand he continues his insulting talk of warforged… “Can you believe the nerve of that.. thing..” he says to them…
    (5461) DM: The man smiles nervously, his eyes flicking from the drunk man to the three warforged in the room.
    (5461) DM: ((Four, rather))
    (5465) Sil: Sil steps forwards a bit, looking down at Darrin as he kicks out with one leg and tips Darrin’s chair over. “Do you believe in that nerve, fleshy?”
    (5474) Darrin: ((hehe…))
    (5461) Barkeep: “Alright, both of you stop, now, before I call the guard.”

(5517) Sil: ((Sorry, ‘net disconnected for a moment))
(5461) Barkeep: ((What did you see last?))
(5517) Sil: ((Barkeep warning about calling the guard))
(5481) Axis: Axis leaves as well, bracketing the target.
(5461) Barkeep: Theran’s companion whispers something to him, and they both stand up and move for the door, walking around behind the adventurers so as to keep a distance and obstacles between them and the pair.
(5461) Barkeep: ((That came after that)
(5517) Sil: ((Where’s Axis leaving to?))

  • (5476) Gitto enters… 142… **
    (5476) Gitto: 143
    (5476) Gitto: 144!
    (5474) Darrin: ((Theran and hsi guardian are makign thier way to the door because of our fight…))
    (5517) Sil: (also, the map’s gone funky on me I see no grid, no lines for the tables/etc, and only a few of the icons of the others))
  • (5476) Gitto finds an unused table and sits down… as if he is waiting for someone else to show up **
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Grawr…))
    (5517) Sil: Sil whispers over the message line. “Try and distract the barkeep or keep Theran from leaving”
    (5517) Sil: “But don’t be obvious about it”
    (5474) Darrin: ((Btw.. I’ve got about 30 min left tonight…. ))
    (5461) Barkeep: ((‘k.))
    (5517) Sil: ((Well, let’s try and hurry it up then, eh?)
    (5461) Barkeep: ((Heh. We’ll end on a roll for initiative, most likely ))
    (5476) Gitto: ((wouldn’t leaving be better!))
    (5476) Gitto: ((back alley fight!))
    (5474) Darrin: ((I agree))
    (5517) Sil: ((I thought we wanted to get Theran drunkish? But meh, he has people with him…))
  • (5474) Darrin makes his way to the bar… “let’em leave.. we will get them outside…” he whispers across the bar… “Gitto’s way…” **
    (5474) Darrin: That was ment to say “accross the link…” not “accross the bar” ! lol
    (5517) Sil: Sil grabs Darrin as he tries to pass towards the bar. “Where do you think you’re going? We’re not finished!”
    (5517) Sil: Sil then pushes the human towards the door of the establishment.
    (5474) Darrin: Stmbling, Darrin makes sure that the mark has already left the building… “You want a fight? well then.. let’s take this outside…” he says….
  • (5461) Barkeep offers an apologetic look to his remaining customers. **
    (5461) DM: Theran and friend push open the door, stepping in the cool evening air.
    (5517) Sil: Sil roughly pushes Darrin through the door, purposefully aiming to hit Theran with the smaller man.
    (5461) DM: The other man intercepts the human shield bash, quickly pulling Theran out of the way.
    (5461) DM: The pair step onto the street and begin walking away at a fair speed.
    (5517) Sil: ((I think we’ve completely lost him, guys))
    (5474) Darrin: ((There is always hope))
    (5517) Sil: ((Not really – we can’t just attack them, and otherwise they’re out of here))
    (5474) Darrin: (( we can follow them…))
    (5517) Sil: ((WE can’t – Axis and Gitto can))
    (5517) Sil: ((We’re too conspicous to them now))
    (5474) Darrin: ((True true))
    (5517) Sil: ((Plus, we need to finisht he fight))
  • (5476) Gitto leaves… *
    (5517) Sil: “Axis, hurry up and get Gitto and follow Theran. And we’ll have to talk about letting Theran leave later.”
    (5476) Gitto: (the not so speedy Gitto is in pursuit)
    (5461) DM: ((How fast is he?))
    (5476) Gitto: 20’
    (5474) Darrin: “Hold it there…” Darrin says aloud to the warfordge (sil). "Don’t you want a fair fight? he says as he puts up his “dukes”, lookign quiet the fool.. taking a step back from sil, she starts to act as a man who look rather nervous… Gettign a few feet away, darrin bolts liek a coward from the fight.. finding himself in the nearest alley…
    (5474) Darrin: Skills: Bluff Check [1d20+15] => [20,15] = (35)
    (5461) DM: ((Umm… ok, hate to rain on your parade, but there’s not really any alleys…))
    (5461) DM: ((Sharn. It’s all towers and balconies.))
    (5474) Darrin: ((Ahh true true…))
    (5474) Darrin: ((how many peopel are around us?))
    (5461) DM: ((A light crowd. Mebbe… a dozen or so?))
    (5517) Sil: Sil runs forwards after Darrin, hoping the man would know to follow Theran instead of running down random balconies.
    (5461) DM: ((Anyway, I’m thinking this might be a nice point to segueway to the forums. Hopefully, in two weeks, you can catch up to him, and we can start the session with a fight.))
    (5517) Sil: ((sounds acceptable))
    (5476) Gitto: (ok)
    (5461) DM: *
    End session**

14th of Olarune,
6:00 pm

The evening air is cool as the team steps onto the ten foot wide path that runs around the tower, causing a few to look up as Sil and Darrin shove each other about. Theran and his companion weave through the crowd, trying to lose their pursuers.

(Can I get Spot checks from everyone?)

[Stychkn]
Gitto looks around…
17 (rolled on Open w/ DM)

[Langy]
Sil’s eyes keep focused upon his quarry, trying not to lose Theran in this false fight with Darrin.

[ticattack]
Though the crowd is not very thick, the pair slip into it and try to lose themselves. Sil and Axis quickly lose sight of them, but Darrin and Gitto keep them in view.

The pair are headed towards a bridge between two towers. In the middle of the bridge is a skycoach depot – they’re going to try and make a run for it.

[Troll]
Gitto will try to cut them off if he can… ‘strenously objecting’ to them getting away.

[Session Log]
((Presented below, as pure log, complete with time warp. Should have time during the holidays.))

Gitto is pursuiing as best as he can…. *
[08:48:05] (44) Sil: Sil is still fake-chasing Darrin, keeping on the show that he’s after the warlock and not Theran.
[08:48:34] (34) DM: The pair are about twenty feet or so ahead, walking quickly through the crowd. Gitto’s steady strides are gaining, but slowly, while Darrin and Sil are soon just ten feet behind their real quarry.
[08:49:19] (34) DM: Theran’s ((the apprentice, FYI)) bodyguard puts an arm around his charge and pulls him forward – the pair are making a run for the skycoaches.
[08:49:43] *
(49) Gitto silently curses “dammit” *
[08:51:02] (49) Gitto: “anyway to chase off the skycoaches” he shouts to… anyone that can hear him
[08:52:11] (44) Sil: Muttering to himself, Sil puts on a little more speed as he runs forwards, his hand itching to grab onto the Apprentice as he and Darrin near him.
[08:52:52] (44) Sil: ((too bad I don’t have a Fireball spell or anything else similarly scary:/))
[08:53:25] (34) DM: Darrin, apparently, has a plan to chase off the skycoaches. He pulls his hand back and flings it out, a projectile of eldritch energy soaring over the head of the nearest captain.
[08:54:12] *
(49) Gitto tries to cause some more dismay by shouting “Stop Thief!” *
[08:54:30] (34) DM: Most of the waiting captains look up, watching the apprentice and his bodyguard run towards them. A couple instantly loose themselves from the dock and get out of there, while another couple start beckonging for the pair to run to them.
[08:54:41] (34) DM: ((I think Initiative would be appropriate now)).
[08:54:54] (49) Gitto: Gitto [1d20+1] => [4,1] = (5) init
[08:55:06] (49) Gitto: (man I’m a slow tin can!)
[08:55:11] (44) Sil: [1d20+2] => [10,2] = (12)
[08:55:18] (34) DM: ((Evidently you need some oil))
[08:56:08] (34) DM: ((Sorry, waiting for Darrin’s sheet to load. Won’t be a moment))
[08:57:45] (34) DM: ((My ’net’s been giving me grief…))
[08:58:09] (34) DM: ((Bahh, he can have 2 [1d202] => [17,2] = (19)))
[08:58:33] (34) DM: ((Theran [1d20+2] => [3,2] = (5), Bodyguard [1d20+1] => [12,1] = (13)))
[08:58:39] (49) Gitto: cha ching!
[08:59:01] (34) DM: ((Darrin, Bodyguard, Sil, Theran, Gitto))
[09:00:16] (34) DM: Darrin lobs another ball of energy at one of the captains beckoning the apprentice. It sizzles past his face, and the man quickly drops his outstretched hand.
[09:00:46] (34) DM: Theran is half-running, half-being dragged by his protector towards the nearest skycoach, a small rowboat.
[09:01:10] (34) DM: They both pile onto it, and the thing is off, moving towards the nearest tower.
[09:01:55] (44) Sil: Sil runs forwards, ready to cast a spell… if the coach is within range.
[09:02:12] (34) DM: ((Whoop, slipup – Gitto should act before Theran. You’ll note I lumped the pair together for this first action. I generally bend the rules slightly to make the story easier, but not break them entirely))
[09:02:30] (34) DM: ((What’s the spell, and what’s its range? They’d be about 30 feet away))
[09:02:47] (34) DM: ((They’re on the ‘coach, it’s moving, but hasn’t moved far yet))
[09:04:59] (44) Sil: ((Whelm, 30ft range, nearly useless spell – but the only one that can do anything to them right now:/))
[09:05:14] (34) DM: ((Source? Can’t recall what it does))
[09:05:40] (44) Sil: Attacking the skycoach’s driver, DC14. 1d6 nonlethal damage
[09:05:47] (44) Sil: [1d6] => 6 = (6)
[09:05:49] (44) Sil: PHBII
[09:05:54] (34) DM: ((Ah, right))
[09:06:58] (34) DM: The captain shakes his head as the spell hits him, but remains conscious.
[09:07:09] (34) DM: ((It failed))
[09:07:24] (44) Sil: ((well, sucks))
[09:07:28] (34) DM: ((Theran’s already acted this round, so Gitto))
[09:07:58] (49) Gitto: “nice one… sorry guy” moving as far forward as he can while drawing his bow…
[09:08:01] (49) Gitto: (Mighty+1) C.LBow Attack: Gitto fires his bow 4
……………..[1d20
4] => [9,4] = (13) Critical on Natural 20
[09:08:06] (49) Gitto: (blech)
[09:08:22] (34) DM: ((Attacking… who?))
[09:08:30] (49) Gitto: (the driver!)
[09:08:30] (44) Sil: ((too bad we never got that damned carpet’s activation word:/))
[09:08:41] (34) DM: ((Hit, roll damage))
[09:08:47] (49) Gitto: Arrow Damage (Mighty 1): Gitto’s arrow does
………………[1d8
1] => [2,1] = (3) hps of damage.
[09:08:54] (49) Gitto: (blech part deux)
[09:09:00] (49) Gitto: (Done)
[09:09:57] (34) DM: The man yells out as the arrow hits his shoulder, and the boat dips dangerously close to a tower, but he swerves away at the last moment.
[09:11:02] (34) DM: Darrin launches another blast, sailing through the air towards the captain (([1d20+3] => [15,3] = (18)))
[09:11:25] (49) Gitto: (cha ching!)
[09:11:27] (34) DM: (([1d6] => 4 = (4) damage))
[09:11:44] (49) Gitto: ((its the metal version of excitement… )
[09:12:24] (34) DM: The driver slumps forward in his craft, which immediately leans to the side. Theran’s bodyguard snatches the controls, shoving the dead weight over the side.
[09:13:43] (34) DM: The captain falls past the many towers that make up Sharn, limbs dangling limply. As he nears a balcony below, there is a cry, and his unconscious form floats slowly to the ground – a timely featherfall by some local mage.
[09:14:20] (34) DM: The boat swings around a tower, putting it between the craft and the arrows and blasts aimed at it.
[09:14:27] (34) DM: ((Sil))
[09:14:32] (49) Gitto: ((he probably has a feather fall ring… standard issue for skycaptains))
[09:14:48] (44) Sil: ((except he was too unconcious to use it)
[09:15:03] (44) Sil: Sil runs forwards, looking to see if any of the skyboats are still around.
[09:15:16] (34) DM: ((The Sharn watch offers a bount of 5 gp to anyone who casts a featherfall on a falling person – a small fortune))
[09:15:22] (34) DM: ((
bounty))
[09:15:57] (34) DM: Most of the captains try to shoo Sil away, not wanting anything to do with the lethal chase.
[09:15:57] (49) Gitto: ((think it activates auto))
[09:16:11] (49) Gitto: ((regardles we have a mage o’ matic in play))
[09:16:12] (44) Sil: Most?
[09:16:45] (34) DM: ((Ok, all))
[09:16:45] (49) Gitto: ((now we’ll be expecting a random Mage to catch us when we fall!))
[09:16:48] (49) Gitto: : )
[09:16:56] (34) DM: ((My bad))
[09:17:29] (34) DM: ((Sweet. I can smash your expectations and your spines in one fell swoop… or should I say, fall swoop))
[09:17:54] (44) Sil: (Puns aren’t funny://))
[09:18:28] (44) Sil: Sil jumps at the first skyboat near him, brandishing his rapier towards the captain and snarling in his most menacing voice, “We need to chase that boat!”
[09:18:52] (44) Sil: [1d20+9] => [17,9] = (26) Intimidate
[09:19:26] (34) DM: The man’s hands are instantly up, the universal gesture of “don’t hurt me”. He scrambles off his carpet and onto the docks. “Take it, just don’t kill me!”
[09:20:05] (44) Sil: “What’s the command word?”
[09:20:17] (34) DM: The man gulps. “Sarna”.
[09:20:47] (44) Sil: Sil nods his head in thanks, speaking the command as he turns his eyes upon his companions.
[09:20:55] (44) Sil: ((Sil’s second magic carpet!)
[09:21:31] (49) Gitto: (i think we wont steal this one… this will get out of hand and the guy will be screwed without his livelyhood)
[09:21:45] (44) Sil: ((I’m planning on returning it later))
[09:22:07] (44) Sil: ((after all, we only need one))
[09:22:16] (34) DM: ((I’m DMing Grand Theft Rug…))
[09:22:41] (49) Gitto: ((Grand Theft Halo))
[09:23:01] (44) Sil: ((what’s that, stealing an angel’s spot?))
[09:23:24] (34) DM: ((Hmm… let’s cut back the jokes and try and keep combat moving, eh? Not that I’m inniocent, of course, but…))
[09:24:00] (34) DM: ((Gitto?))
[09:24:04] * (49) Gitto fires an arrow at the necromancer and jumps on the carpet with Sil *
[09:24:08] (49) Gitto: (Mighty+1) C.LBow Attack: Gitto fires his bow 4
……………..[1d20
4] => [8,4] = (12) Critical on Natural 20
[09:24:13] (49) Gitto: (twang)
[09:24:25] (49) Gitto: “ok… let us pursue them”
[09:24:27] (49) Gitto: (Done)
[09:24:59] (67) No Name (enter): 21:24
[09:25:14] (34) DM: The arrow comes close, but smashed into the stone wall about two feet from the boat.
[09:29:26] (34) DM: Theran begins to speak and gesture, the unmistakable signs of spellcasting. He finishes thrusting his hand towards the carpet. There is a flash of smoke, a foul stench, like meat left in the sun for a week, and a leering, rotting face appears, an undead beast dropping from nowhere onto the carpet.
[09:30:10] (34) DM: The thing pulls back a fist to punch at Sil, piloting the carpet. (([1d20+2] => [10,2] = (12)))
[09:30:27] (34) DM: ((What’s Sil’s AC?))
[09:31:11] (44) Sil: 17
[09:32:05] (34) DM: Darrin gasps at the leering corpse, and flings a blast at it (([1d20+3] => [11,3] = (14), [1d6] => 4 = (4)))
[09:33:16] (34) DM: The undead barely reacts as a hole gets punched through its stomach, still watching Sil with dead eyes, shuffling left and right to try and hit the man.
[09:33:36] (34) DM: The boat swerves around the tower, putting it out of reach, for the moment.
[09:33:41] (34) DM: ((Sil))
[09:34:21] (71) Raziell (enter): 21:34
[09:34:26] (71) Raziell (exit): 21:34
[09:34:30] (44) Sil: Sil twists as he continues piloting the carpet, holding on tight as he attempts to knock the corpse off.
[09:34:47] (44) Sil: “Hold on, boys!”
[09:35:20] (34) DM: ((Sorry, you’re trying to pull some loopy stunts to knock him off?))
[09:35:46] (49) Gitto: (oy!)
[09:35:59] (44) Sil: ((that would be a yes))
[09:36:14] (44) Sil: ((though not too loopy – it’s a bloody stupid undead, I doubt it has good balance))
[09:36:17] (34) DM: ((Both of you, Dex checks))
[09:36:30] (44) Sil: [1d20+2] => [17,2] = (19)
[09:36:37] (34) DM: ((Sil, 4 since you’re the one doing it))
[09:36:47] (49) Gitto: (as in Gitto as well both of you?)
[09:36:53] (44) Sil: ((don’t think I’ll need it))
[09:37:00] (49) Gitto:
DEX
12
[1d20
1] => [10,1] = (11)

[09:37:03] (34) DM: ((Yes, Gitto as well))
[09:37:07] (34) DM: ((… Ouch.))
[09:37:26] (34) DM: ((Darrin: [1d20+2] => [9,2] = (11), Undead: [1d20-1] => [16,-1] = (15)))
[09:37:54] (49) Gitto: ((thats fantastic… I hope Int is your dump stat!))
[09:37:59] (34) DM: ((This is an example of how I don’t fudge the dice – I was going for DC 15))
[09:38:38] (44) Sil: ((sucks://))
[09:39:09] (49) Gitto: ((gets ready to toss 5gp in the air…))
[09:39:14] (44) Sil: ((I was more expecting DC10 and lower dex on the undead:/ Oh well))
[09:39:45] (34) DM: Gitto and Darrin both lurch as Sil swerves and twists the carpet. There is a sickening moment as gravity takes them, pulling them plummeting through the city.
[09:40:21] (34) DM: The undead stumbles, losing its balance, but remains on the carpet ((though it loses its action for the turn))
[09:40:47] (34) DM: ((Gitto? ;p))
[09:41:18] (44) Sil: ((what exactly can he do?))
[09:41:19] (49) Gitto: ((falling?))
[09:41:26] (49) Gitto: ((scream like a girl?))
[09:41:35] (49) Gitto: “AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
[09:41:39] (34) DM: ((Pretty much. Just wanted to give the chance to do something, if you could.))
[09:41:43] (34) DM: ((Like that.))
[09:41:59] (27) Crossroad: ((the audience clapped and laughters fill the popcorn gallery)) A shock of cries rise up from the people that has been watching the chase from towers and windows.
[09:42:10] (49) Gitto: ((like shoot Sil in the back?))
[09:42:21] (34) DM: The undead manages to regain its balance, once more trying to get at Sil.
[09:43:08] (44) Sil: ((that reminds me – we are using Action Points in this game, right?))
[09:43:13] (34) DM: ((We are…))
[09:43:40] (44) Sil: ((would have been a perfect use for them just a moment ago;p))
[09:43:41] (34) DM: ((Hands up who forgot about them?))
[09:43:45] (49) Gitto: (((woah… time to whip that out…))
[09:43:54] (49) Gitto: Y
[09:44:32] (49) Gitto:
DEX
12
[1d20+1] => [19,1] = (20)

[09:44:41] (49) Gitto: “woah….!”
[09:44:56] (49) Gitto: “stop driving like a nut!”
[09:45:11] (34) DM: ((Ah, we’re pulling a quick backstep, are we?))
[09:45:31] (49) Gitto: ((absolutely))
[09:45:38] (44) Sil: ((not quite how action points work…))
[09:45:46] (34) DM: ((No, it’s not))
[09:45:50] (44) Sil: ((you don’t reroll, you add 1d6))
[09:46:15] (34) DM: ((I’ll allow the backtrack this once – not as an action point, just because I’m a nice guy. Next time, you fall to your deaths, screaming like a little girl))
[09:46:26] (49) Gitto: ((oh I liked it my way much better))
[09:46:31] (44) Sil: ((lol))
[09:46:51] (34) DM: ((Roll 1d6 and add it to your initial roll))
[09:47:11] (49) Gitto: [3d6] => [2,1,1] = (4)
[09:47:16] (34) DM: ((You both rolled 11. Darrin [1d6] => 6 = (6)))
[09:47:27] (49) Gitto: (har that didnt even get me there)
[09:47:31] (49) Gitto: [1d6] => 2 = (2)
[09:47:34] (34) DM: ((No, 1d6))
[09:47:35] (49) Gitto: ((gah…))
[09:48:00] (44) Sil: ((ouch, gitto still falls:/))
[09:48:19] (44) Sil: ((at least you’re a warforged and thus don’t need to worry about bleeding to death after you fall!)
[09:48:22] (34) DM: Darrin teeters, but keeps his place. Gitto does not fare as well. Even as he falls, he snatches at the carpet, but comes away with air in his fingers, plummeting down.
[09:48:37] (49) Gitto: “AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
[09:48:38] (49) Gitto: “AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
[09:48:39] (49) Gitto: “AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
[09:49:00] (34) DM: ((Gitto does nothing but scream, the undead regains his balance, Darrin))
[09:49:46] (49) Gitto: ((can we use my d6 rolls for damage???) : )
[09:49:59] (44) Sil: ((no))
[09:50:07] (34) DM: Darrin clutches at the carpet. “Dive! Catch the warforged!”
[09:50:09] (44) Sil: ((oh, damage on you))
[09:50:12] (44) Sil: ((maybe))
[09:50:40] (34) DM: ((Maybe for the first three dice. Sharn – long way to fall))
[09:50:47] (34) DM: ((Sil))
[09:51:22] (44) Sil: Sil looks back at the undead for a moment before shaking his head and diving once more, swooping down to attempt a catch of his fallen comrade.
[09:52:06] (34) DM: ((Darrin’s Dex roll, against a DC of 15 [1d20+1d6+2] => [7,5,2] = (14)))
[09:52:22] (34) DM: ((Undead’s Dex roll [1d20-1] => [6,-1] = (5)))
[09:52:36] (44) Sil: [1d20+2+4] => [10,2,4] = (16)
[09:53:43] (34) DM: As Sil dives down for Gitto, both Darrin and the undead are flung from the carpet. The undead doesn’t even fall for a full five seconds before disappearing in a puff of smoke, the magic that summoned it expired. Darrin is not in such a lucky position, and starts to fall, screaming.
[09:55:09] (34) DM: Sil races down, gaining on the falling warforged slowly, but surely. Suddenly, the plummeting construct slows, and a mage on a nearby bridge throws his hand up, claiming responsibility. Sil swoops in under Gitto, catching him.
[09:55:49] (49) Gitto: “Thank You!” he shouts at the unseen mage
[09:55:55] (34) DM: Darrin falls too quickly, far beyond a distance at which he could be caught.
[09:56:48] (34) DM: Their quarry is long gone, by now probably hiding in a tower somewhere. One of their number is injured, possible dead. Tomai will not be happy.

[ticattack]
And, as expected, he is not. The half-elf sits in stony silence as the team recounts their assignment, and remains silent for a good five minutes afterwards.

Gitto and Sil had taken a brief look around for Darrin, but found no trace of him – even had they found where he landed, it’s quite possible he would have already been picked clean and tossed off the nearest walkway by the time they got to him.

Unbeknownst to them, Darrin was alive, if not well – some mage had taken the watch up on its “bounty” for saving falling people, and he had suffered only bruises, a few scratches, and a wounded ego.

Finally, Tomai speaks. “You failed. You will not be paid. In light of the spectacular work you have performed in the past, I have convinced my superiors to hold off on disciplinary action – however, I warn you, I will not repeat this favour.”

“Now,” he says, taking a breath. “Your next assignment. This one, we have advance intelligence about, which will give you time to prepare.”

“We have discovered that one of our senior agents intends to betray us, defecting to a rival organisation. We are keeping a close eye on him, but intend to let him make his way to their headquarters. At this time, we intend for a number of teams to make simultaneous strikes, from different entry points, hopefully wiping out most of the group’s members.”

“Your goal here is somewhat more straightforward than your previous missions – you must eliminate anyone you encounter. Though the Twelve makes a policy of not relying on divinations, what he have suggests that the area will be heavily defended, and may have other defences – traps, alarms and so on. We also have a sketch of the layout, although it should also not be relied upon, as it is quite likely warded against divinations.”

“As always, you are free to refuse. However, should you accept, you will receive one thousand gold pieces each, five hundred in advance, to equip yourself, and five hundred upon the assignment’s completion.”

View
Assignment 2: Warehouse Rescue

Twelve days have passed since the team’s first assignment, and they have been summoned to meet Tomai again in the back room of Alloran’s. The summons came not like last time, when they were given a day’s notice, but in the form of a messenger, demanding they get there within half an hour.

When they arrive at Alloran’s, Tomau is standing, leaning on the back of a chair. He nods as the team enters, not bothering with small talk, getting straight to business. “This is against my better judgement, but I don’t have many choices. All other teams are busy, and we have an urgent need.” He passes out sheets of parchment, with a picture of an grizzled and scarred orc. “This is Urdan. He has been an agent of ours for almost a decade. He was deep undercover in the ranks of an organisation of interest. Just under two hours ago, we received a magical communication saying he was in danger, and needed immediate assistance. Divinations have revealed a location, a large warehouse in the lower city, but we have been unable to find out anything more. Direct assault is not only far too visible, but also suicide. We know the place to hold a guard numbering the dozens, at least some skilled warriors and mages.”

Darrin is silent as he studies the picture. He is still feeling a little off – his summons came while he was entertaining himself at a local tavern. Gitto is the first to speak. “Hmmm. Does not sound like a mission I shall do well in” Axis asks the first question. “Would you say that they were more powerful than any one of us?” "We believe that they are mostly not all that skilled. Tomai replies. "There are, however, likely a few individuals who would be more powerful, individually, than any one of you. Axis nods, the very human gesture a little odd with his inhuman face. “Do you have a map of the location?” “The interior of the warehouse?” Tomai asks “No.”

There is an uncomfortable pause. “Sneaking around might not be a specialty off all of us.” Darrin says. “I understand that stealth is not your collective forte. You will be given magical assistance in that area.” Axis is unconvinced. “If you have divinations which actually reveal things, those who cast said divinations might be better off going and rescuing the man; we can’t even identify a carpet’s activation words.” Tomai sighs. “Our diviners are not field agents. You are.”

“What can you tell us about the organization?” Sil asks. Darrin nods in agreement with the question. “Yes, what information can you give us ahead of time about these people we are facing?” "Not as much as I would like to. Tomai answers. “They are primarily criminals, smugglers and the like. My superiors suspected they might be involved with more, but I do not know specifics.”

“Do you have any suggestions for cover identities?” Sil asks. “Do you have them ready?” Axis furthers. Tomai shakes his head. “Cover identities would take too long. You will be infiltrating the warehouse, not the organisation.”

“To aid you in this, I have been authorised to lend you these” He takes out a pouch, emptying six rings of varying degrees of ornamentation. “These are rings of invisibility.” Darrin looks for the least flashy of the rings, a plain golden band. “This should help” Sil picks one of the flashier ones up and nods. “The extra one is for the orc, then?” Tomai nods. “Correct”

Darrin nods his head along. “Is there anywhere we need to escort this man too? Or just assure he is safe?”

[Tue Sep 18 20:29:57 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin:
[Tue Sep 18 20:31:15 2007] : * (814)
[Tue Sep 18 20:31:24 2007] : (812) Axis: “We’re rather loud…Any chance of a spell of total silence?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:31:36 2007] : (803) Sil:
[Tue Sep 18 20:31:47 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Unfortunately, I do not have any of those.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:31:57 2007] : *
(805) Tomai ir’Fallin nods. . *
[Tue Sep 18 20:32:35 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Well… let us get on with it.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:35:00 2007] : *
(805) Tomai ir’Fallin nods. “Good. You have my gratitude. There is a House Jorasco enclave in the Dragon Towers. Return him there, alive or dead, and you will be paid five hundred gold, each.” *
[Tue Sep 18 20:35:34 2007] : (803) Sil: “Alive or dead? Then our mission is primarily to ensure our involvment is not discovered.” Sil sounds pleased at this.
[Tue Sep 18 20:36:10 2007] : *
(814) Darrin thinks to himself, a dead member of House Jorasco sounds nice. *
[Tue Sep 18 20:36:18 2007] : (802) Gitto: “As usual”
[Tue Sep 18 20:36:49 2007] : (812) Axis: ((Axis thinks to Darrin, “Not if you want to get healed!”))
[Tue Sep 18 20:37:01 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Urdan’s value to the Twelve cannot be overestated. We have arrangements with Jorasco for his return to health.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:37:29 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe… That’s why he does not say it aloud! lol))
[Tue Sep 18 20:37:32 2007] : (812) Axis: "What skills does he have?
[Tue Sep 18 20:37:52 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Many.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:37:54 2007] : (814) Darrin: "Then we will secure his return, and make sure our involvement is unknown… "
[Tue Sep 18 20:38:25 2007] : (803) Sil: “Excellent then. Anyone else have any queries?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:38:25 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Correct. If at all possible, leave no witnesses. Certainly, make no mention of the Twelve or the Houses.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:38:35 2007] : (802) Gitto: “None”
[Tue Sep 18 20:38:57 2007] : (812) Axis: “What skills does he have that will aid us in getting out of there with him still alive?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:39:23 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Does it matter?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:39:41 2007] : (802) Gitto: “He will use them if he wants to survive.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:39:52 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “He can handle himself in combat, if that is what you are asking. Still, you should not rely on his ability to fight – he may be dead, injured or otherwise disabled.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:39:59 2007] : (812) Axis: “The raising of one who has died is rather expensive. I would prefer not to incur that cost.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:40:35 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil looks over at Axis, a question on his face. “Why would we pay?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:40:48 2007] : (812) Axis: “We wouldn’t, but someone will.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:41:35 2007] : (803) Sil: “Ah. Then do not worry – we will not kill him, and shall attempt to leave with him alive. Dragons know a live body is easier to move than a dead one.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:41:57 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “This is what the goodwill fund exists for. Do not worry about the cost.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:42:19 2007] : *
(805) Tomai ir’Fallin straightens up. “Now, time is of the essence. There is a skycoach waiting for you on the balcony beside the cafe upstairs. The captain is one of our agents, and will wait for your return for up to four hours. After this, he will leave.” *
[Tue Sep 18 20:42:32 2007] : (812) Axis: “Right, then…let’s get moving before this guy gets any closer to death.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:42:40 2007] : *
(814) Darrin nods “We should be back in time…” *
[Tue Sep 18 20:42:51 2007] : (803) Sil: “And before the criminals can interrogate him further.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:43:06 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Oh, the activation word for the rings is ‘gone’. Say this, and you will be rendered invisible.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:43:29 2007] : (812) Axis: “Ahem…Gone.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:43:31 2007] : (803) Sil: “Is the invisibility continuous, or does it have a time limit?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:44:54 2007] : (805) Tomai ir’Fallin: “Each activation will last for five minutes, or until you break the spell. Each ring has six activations remaining.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:45:20 2007] : (803) Sil: “Excellent – Lets not waste them.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:45:36 2007] : *
(812) Axis , invisible, says, “You should…probably have said something about that before…” *
[Tue Sep 18 20:46:11 2007] : *
(805) Tomai ir’Fallin closes his eyes for a moment. “Just go.” *
[Tue Sep 18 20:46:15 2007] : *
(814) Darrin chuckles as Axis using one of the uses.. and thinks about how he alsmost did too *
[Tue Sep 18 20:46:17 2007] : (802) Gitto: : )
[Tue Sep 18 20:46:28 2007] : *
(814) Darrin nods to Tomai as he raises to leave *
[Tue Sep 18 20:46:36 2007] : *
(802) Gitto is eager to take on their next mission… *
[Tue Sep 18 20:46:53 2007] : (803) Sil: As he walks out, Sil speaks quietly to the invisible man. “You should not have been so quick to the chase, poor Axis. Think on the consequences of your actions next time.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:47:22 2007] : (802) Gitto: He takes his ring and puts it on and prepares to leave.
[Tue Sep 18 20:47:54 2007] : *
(814) Darrin stands at the door, with his ring on. “Lets be moving…” he says to the group. *
[Tue Sep 18 20:48:24 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe we jsut astarted and I am ready to read the re-write aready))
[Tue Sep 18 20:48:50 2007] : *
(812) Axis smacks Sil in the back of the head as he passes, losing his invisibility. *
[Tue Sep 18 20:49:34 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil, his ring on his finger and the orc’s in one of his belt pockets, rubs the back of his head, his jaw hanging open in a Warforged smile as he looks over at Axis.
[Tue Sep 18 20:50:06 2007] : (805) DM: The skycoach is a small boat, with room for about a dozen people. It has a deck, and a doorway to beneath it, where it is safe to assume a cargo hold lies. The captain is an aging human, perhaps in his late fifties. As the team walks onto the balcony, he looks up at them. “Good, you’re here.” he says. “Let’s go”.
[Tue Sep 18 20:50:28 2007] : (803) Sil: ((by the way, in case you haven’t realized it yet… Sil likes the shinies. Hence why he’s now carrying Urks or whatever his name is’s ring and chose the gaudiest for himself, not to mention still keeping the magic carpet close by))
[Tue Sep 18 20:50:29 2007] : (812) Axis: "What’s up with you and possession of magical items, anyway? First you obsess over the carpet, then you grab the orc’s extra ring.
[Tue Sep 18 20:50:47 2007] : (812) Axis: ((Wow. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!))
[Tue Sep 18 20:50:57 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Axis is psychic!!!))
[Tue Sep 18 20:52:04 2007] : (802) Gitto: “You should give the Orc the ring you’ve taken an charge out of”
[Tue Sep 18 20:52:22 2007] : (814) Darrin: “They are items of great value… He obviously is concerned over their value….” Darrin says as Axis talks to Sil. and laughes as Gitto makes his suggestion
[Tue Sep 18 20:52:24 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil glances down at his ring, his left hand touching the carpet now connected to his backpack by rope. Affecting an upper-class Sharn accent, he speaks. “I simply enjoy the finer pleasures in life, my friend. Perhaps you should try them sometime, yes?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:52:33 2007] : (802) Gitto: “by the time we get there… we will have used more charges most likely and he will only need enough charges to escape.. not infiltrate like us.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:52:54 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil nods. “That is not an unbad suggestion. Here, Axis – a trade?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:53:23 2007] : (803) Sil: ((er, that is an unbad suggestion, not is not an unbad suggestion))
[Tue Sep 18 20:53:32 2007] : (803) Sil: ((PS: go triple-negatives!))
[Tue Sep 18 20:54:33 2007] : (812) Axis: Axis slips the ring off his finger and tosses it to the ‘forged. “Sure.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:55:03 2007] : (805) DM: The boat travels down to the lower city, probably the nastiest place in Sharn not filled with goblins. The towers have few windows, and those that do exist are smeared with grime. There are even fewer bridges, each tower seperate from its neighbours, in stark contrast to the higher levels, where they form a web of bridges and balconies.
[Tue Sep 18 20:55:39 2007] : (802) Gitto: “This place is worse than the last locale.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:55:56 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Likely we might get accosted for a few coins down here.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:56:34 2007] : (805) DM: Down beneath them, they can see the bases, thousands of feet wide, that reach up to the city’s canopy, now gone from view.
[Tue Sep 18 20:57:31 2007] : (805) DM: There is not much movement – every now and then, a person walks over one of the bridges, but the place seems almost deserted from the outside.
[Tue Sep 18 20:57:36 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil hands the orc’s ring over to Axis even as he watches the ride through this most unwelcome area of Sharn.
[Tue Sep 18 20:57:39 2007] : (814) Darrin: “Thi part of the city is not as.. nice.. as we are accustomed too. But it has it’s charms”
[Tue Sep 18 20:59:03 2007] : (803) Sil: “Such as plenty of places to get ones drink on, eh Darrin? Are you sure you’ve sobered up enough for an insertion such as this?”
[Tue Sep 18 20:59:24 2007] : (805) DM: The boat pulls into a dock, empty as the rest of the place. With a nervous glance around, the captain motions for them to disembark. “Alright, get going. But don’t linger, alright? This isn’t an area I like to hang around in.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:59:52 2007] : (805) DM: He points to a large doorway next to another dock. “That’s your target.”
[Tue Sep 18 20:59:58 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Sure. thanks”
[Tue Sep 18 21:00:35 2007] : (814) Darrin: “We won’t be long” darrins says as he leaves the ship
[Tue Sep 18 21:00:51 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil nods as he hops out of the boat. “So, how do you want to do this? The slow, methodical approach, or the quick grab?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:01:43 2007] : *
(814) Darrin turns to Sil, Slow and methodical.. we are not too trace them back to us or the House. *
[Tue Sep 18 21:02:14 2007] : (805) DM: The door is massive, easily ten foot tall. It is apparently unguarded. Above it, perhaps twelve feet from the ground, is a window, round and maybe two feet across.
[Tue Sep 18 21:02:19 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Quiet at first and then the quick grab seems best. I cannot imagine that I’ll remain unheard for too long.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:02:35 2007] : *
No match found
[Tue Sep 18 21:02:36 2007] : * No match found
[Tue Sep 18 21:03:20 2007] : (803) Sil: “True – but it would be so much nicer to leave quickly. Very well, let’s try to do this the silent way. We should scout the area – who among us is the most stealthy?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:30 2007] : (805) DM: ((Hold on folks, I seem to be experiencing technical difficulties))
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:35 2007] : (814) Darrin: “I have some training in that department” darrin says ((6))
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:41 2007] : (805) tic (exit): 21:04
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:41 2007] : (805) tic (enter): 21:04
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:42 2007] : (805) tic (exit): 21:04
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:42 2007] : (805) tic (enter): 21:04
[Tue Sep 18 21:04:45 2007] : (803) Sil: ((suckage, tic))
[Tue Sep 18 21:05:02 2007] : Attempting to assign the role of GM to (805) tic…
[Tue Sep 18 21:05:02 2007] : (805) DM: Disconnecting from server…
[Tue Sep 18 21:05:02 2007] : (805) tic (exit): 21:05
[Tue Sep 18 21:05:16 2007] : (803) Sil: ((well, that didn’t seem to work))
[Tue Sep 18 21:06:44 2007] : (842) tic (enter): 21:06
[Tue Sep 18 21:07:22 2007] : (842) DM: ((Bahh. Ok, can someone give me everything that happened since last I posted?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:07:57 2007] : (842) DM: ((My Internet decided to play sillybuggers))
[Tue Sep 18 21:07:58 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((we waited))
[Tue Sep 18 21:08:23 2007] : (814) Darrin: “I have some training in that department” darrin says ((
6))
[Tue Sep 18 21:09:46 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil nods. “Excellent. Anyone else? I’m not much use at sneaking about, I’m afraid” (only a +0, due to the armor check penalty)
[Tue Sep 18 21:10:25 2007] : (842) DM: ((No, I missed something. Since last I posted about the door, not the message about tech. difficulties?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:10:42 2007] : (803) Sil: The rubble blocking corridor from corridor is dug away, and all survivors – numbering no more than fifty at this point – are brought together
[Tue Sep 18 21:10:54 2007] : (803) Sil: ((woops – not what I meant to paste))
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:02 2007] : (803) Sil: Gitto: “Quiet at first and then the quick grab seems best. I cannot imagine that I’ll remain unheard for too long.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:09 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil: “True – but it would be so much nicer to leave quickly. Very well, let’s try to do this the silent way. We should scout the area – who among us is the most stealthy?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:11 2007] : (803) Sil: And that’s it
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:19 2007] : (842) DM: ((Ok, thanks))
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:23 2007] : (802) Gitto: (im in the negatives…)
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:42 2007] : (802) Gitto: -4
[Tue Sep 18 21:11:47 2007] : (803) Sil: ((ouchies))
[Tue Sep 18 21:12:05 2007] : (802) Gitto: “I should hang back while the more agile go forward.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:12:11 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil, noting nobody else speaking up, looks over at Darrin and nods. “It looks like you will be our scout.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:12:20 2007] : (814) Darrin: “Then I will scout a bit first…” darrin says.. “Does anyoen see a way in besides the door here?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:12:44 2007] : (803) Sil: “The window above it, of course.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:12:51 2007] : (803) Sil: “But getting to it may be a problem.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:13:49 2007] : (846) Valuk (enter): 21:13
[Tue Sep 18 21:14:04 2007] : *
(814) Darrin nods, “I am not the best climber.. Gitto, can you raise me above your head?” darrins says rememberign that some warforged are very strong *
[Tue Sep 18 21:14:18 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil looks closer. “Then again, it is only two people high. Gitto, do you think you could throw him at it?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:14:45 2007] : *
(814) Darrin flashes a look at Sil, Raise would be better then throwing.. throwing is rather.. loud…" *
[Tue Sep 18 21:15:06 2007] : (802) Gitto: “sure”
[Tue Sep 18 21:15:14 2007] : (802) Gitto: “just start climbing and I’ll help”
[Tue Sep 18 21:15:44 2007] : (814) Darrin: Takign his tool out of his belt pouch, Darrin nods to Gitto, “Then lets do this…”
[Tue Sep 18 21:15:47 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil drops his jaw again. “True, but it would be so much more entertaining to watch you fly through the air. Still, pushing him up would probably be best.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:16:04 2007] : *
(814) Darrin starst to climb the wall, towards the window. *
[Tue Sep 18 21:16:09 2007] : *
(802) Gitto stretches himself out into a humanoid shaped ladder *
[Tue Sep 18 21:16:17 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20-1] => [18,-1] = (17)
[Tue Sep 18 21:16:24 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe a decent check!))
[Tue Sep 18 21:16:35 2007] : (802) Gitto: and lifts when appropriate
[Tue Sep 18 21:17:17 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil looks around. “Does anyone have a rope they could toss Darrin so he can tie it off in the window?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:17:41 2007] : (842) DM: ((How tall’s Gitto?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:17:48 2007] : (842) DM: ((And Darrin, for that matter))
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:07 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((12 ft! lol… 5’6" ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:08 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((looks like I put down 5’ 5"
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:21 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((haha! were both short!))
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:26 2007] : (802) Gitto: (changing it to 7’ 5" as we speak)
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:27 2007] : (802) Gitto: : )
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:34 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((then I’ll change it back….))
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:40 2007] : (802) Gitto: : P
[Tue Sep 18 21:18:45 2007] : (842) DM: Standing on Gitto’s shoulders, Darrin doesn’t even need to stretch much to reach the window ledge.
[Tue Sep 18 21:19:15 2007] : (842) DM: He heaves himself up onto the eight-inch ledge, balancing carefully up there.
[Tue Sep 18 21:19:19 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Jeeze, that means Sil’s almost a foot taller than Gitto))
[Tue Sep 18 21:19:35 2007] : (814) Darrin: Standing on gitto, darrin says he words “Gone” as he disappears.
[Tue Sep 18 21:19:39 2007] : (842) DM: The window is fairly thick, perhaps half an inch of glass.
[Tue Sep 18 21:19:49 2007] : (842) DM: ((Oh, wait, scratch that))
[Tue Sep 18 21:19:57 2007] : (842) DM: ((Sorry, thinking wrong thing. No glass, empty space))
[Tue Sep 18 21:20:16 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((the window is open then? ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:20:28 2007] : (842) DM: ((Aye. Just a two-foot hole))
[Tue Sep 18 21:20:55 2007] : (814) Darrin: Now on the lefdge, Darrin peers into the two foot hole to see anything and possibly hear anything from the inside.
[Tue Sep 18 21:21:07 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20-1] => [7,-1] = (6)
[Tue Sep 18 21:21:12 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+3] => [18,3] = (21)
[Tue Sep 18 21:21:20 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Spot/Listen))
[Tue Sep 18 21:21:40 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Doh, how did I overlook points in spot.. i know what I am getting next level…))
[Tue Sep 18 21:22:30 2007] : (842) DM: The room appears to be some sort of office. A battered desk takes up most of the small room. The only other furniture is a chair and a cabinet or cupboard of some sort. The door leading out is closed, and apparently locked.
[Tue Sep 18 21:23:13 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((how far down from the window is the room in the office.. Does the door to the outside lead into the office?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:23:53 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Or is this a 2nd lfloor office))
[Tue Sep 18 21:24:01 2007] : (842) DM: The window is about four feet from the office floor.
[Tue Sep 18 21:24:15 2007] : (842) DM: ((Aye, second story))
[Tue Sep 18 21:24:59 2007] : (814) Darrin: Darrin relays the information to the rest of the group. “We should enter here.. Does anyone havea rope?” he says
[Tue Sep 18 21:25:43 2007] : (802) Gitto: “I am not sure I will fit thru that”
[Tue Sep 18 21:25:52 2007] : (802) Gitto: “I am not very… compressible”
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:05 2007] : (842) DM: ((Can everyone see the picture there? Easier than explaining, I think))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:09 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((can the window be opened more?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:12 2007] : (803) Sil: ((yes))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:13 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Yes))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:22 2007] : (803) Sil: ((probably by knocking out the wall))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:32 2007] : (842) DM: ((Not unless you count knocking the wall out as “opening”))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:42 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe.. maybe!))
[Tue Sep 18 21:26:58 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Perhaps the door is more easily opened from the inside”
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:07 2007] : (803) Sil: “And perhaps it’s unlocked”
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:23 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Making a hasty escape will be easier thru the door as well”
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:24 2007] : (814) Darrin: Darrin “ok, i will socout a bit more…” he says as he slips into the room and makes his way to the door, quietly attempting to open the lock on it.
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:34 2007] : (802) Gitto: “well it might have a bell or alarm on it”
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:46 2007] : (802) Gitto: “better to see if it does from the inside”
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:55 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+6] => [12,6] = (18)
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:58 2007] : (803) Sil: "But it also almost definitely leads to a place where our enemies may lie, and hence it would be a bad idea to open it
[Tue Sep 18 21:27:59 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+10] => [9,10] = (19)
[Tue Sep 18 21:28:17 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((move silent/openlock for the door inside the room))
[Tue Sep 18 21:28:40 2007] : (842) DM: The lock pops open with a quiet click.
[Tue Sep 18 21:28:43 2007] : (803) Sil: ((note – I was talking about the front door, not the office door, as I was talkin’ about getting Gitto into the warehouse))
[Tue Sep 18 21:29:12 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((yeah, darrin will coem abck for that one.. he wanted to scout out the top for a bit more))
[Tue Sep 18 21:31:25 2007] : (842) DM: Pushing the door open slightly, Darrin peers out. The door leads to a raised platform, a walkway that extends around the warehouse space. Beneath the platform is what seems to be the warehouse itself, a massive space filled with crates, barrels and boxes. About twenty humans, and a few dwarves toil, carrying the stuff about or repacking it.
[Tue Sep 18 21:32:43 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe that’s what I was thinking.. but eww, 20 men i nte middle! ouch))
[Tue Sep 18 21:32:56 2007] : (842) DM: The platform leads to other doors, Darrin can see four from his current position.
[Tue Sep 18 21:33:28 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((max bluff ranks would be nice “Special Delivery… who wants to sign?”))
[Tue Sep 18 21:33:58 2007] : (842) DM: ((If only we had a warlock with the 6 bluff invoc…))
[Tue Sep 18 21:34:04 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Darrin’s got our best bluff bits)
[Tue Sep 18 21:34:08 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe darrin has +15.. nto a bad idea.. Sil si good too.. could give Darrin more tiem to search around!))
[Tue Sep 18 21:34:32 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((need to level to get poitns in typing!))
[Tue Sep 18 21:34:48 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((“What is this… that construct you ordered”))
[Tue Sep 18 21:35:33 2007] : (803) Sil: ((I’m surprised nobody bought rope:/ /me makes note to get it and other standards of adventuring on next downtime))
[Tue Sep 18 21:35:35 2007] : (814) Darrin: Still hidden, Darrin slowly clsoes the door and makes his way ot the closest door as asilently as he can and listens for any signs of people inside…
[Tue Sep 18 21:35:45 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20
6] => [15,6] = (21)
[Tue Sep 18 21:35:48 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+3] => [15,3] = (18)
[Tue Sep 18 21:35:58 2007] : (842) DM: ((Did you use the ring?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:36:00 2007] : (812) Axis: (We’re supposed to be supplied with stuff…Is Rope included?)
[Tue Sep 18 21:36:01 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Move Silent / Listen))
[Tue Sep 18 21:36:28 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((if you want, use those rolsl to ahve him go to all 4 doors and listen then come abck to safe room))
[Tue Sep 18 21:37:11 2007] : (842) DM: ((Rope would be something the Twelve would supply you with, yes. You’d not take everything they’d supply you with at once, though. Still, if you’d’ve picked up some rope, I’d be ok with that))
[Tue Sep 18 21:37:24 2007] : (842) DM: ((So you did use the ring?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:37:35 2007] : (803) Sil: ((he used it when he first entered the window))
[Tue Sep 18 21:37:58 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((yes, I did.. Figure it should be enough to get me around and back befoer failing… I hope! ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:37:59 2007] : (842) DM: ((Ahh, right))
[Tue Sep 18 21:38:31 2007] : (846) Valuk (exit): 21:38
[Tue Sep 18 21:39:28 2007] : (842) DM: Creeing to each door, Darrin listens carefully for noises within. From the first, there is silence. From the next the sound of low voices, from the sounds of them, male. From the third, silence. From the fourth is more voices, but he can’t pick if they’re male or female.
[Tue Sep 18 21:39:32 2007] : (842) DM: *Creeping
[Tue Sep 18 21:41:04 2007] : (814) Darrin: makign his way back into the safe room, Darrin sticks his head out the window a bit and down to the rest of the group. He explains the set up of the room, the 20 men and dwarfs and h eexplains about the location fo the rtwo rooms with voices in them.. “A lot of men in here…” he says softly out the window…
[Tue Sep 18 21:41:18 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Ring has worn off by now i am sure ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:41:38 2007] : (842) DM: ((Five minutes? Naw, I figure you’d have gone through 2-3))
[Tue Sep 18 21:41:44 2007] : (803) Sil: “Can you tell what they’re packing? Did you notice any weapons?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:41:54 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((did darrin hear any names in the either room?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:42:06 2007] : (802) Gitto: “what about finding the guy and sneaking back with him?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:42:15 2007] : (842) DM: ((Ahh.. hang on.))
[Tue Sep 18 21:42:25 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe ok))
[Tue Sep 18 21:42:46 2007] : (842) DM: ((Nope. he heard talking, no words))
[Tue Sep 18 21:43:31 2007] : (842) DM: ((Hmm… I stuffed up the map a tad))
[Tue Sep 18 21:43:51 2007] : (814) Darrin: “I did not notices weapons, they seem to be workers…” Darrin says.. "But that does not mean they do not have them available in there…. As for sneaking out with the man, I can check the silent trooms for him.. but if I enter the rooms with talking, I will be foudn out for sure…))
[Tue Sep 18 21:44:47 2007] : (803) Sil: “Is the inside of the warehouse wood or stone?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:44:55 2007] : (802) Gitto: “take an exta ring?”
[Tue Sep 18 21:45:36 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil slips the extra ring out of his pocket and approaches the window, ready to throw it up, but waiting for Darrin’s answer to his question.
[Tue Sep 18 21:45:44 2007] : (842) DM: ((Walls are stone, platform is metal))
[Tue Sep 18 21:45:56 2007] : (803) Sil: ((crates and boxes are wood, I presume?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:46:10 2007] : (814) Darrin: “The walsl are stone, and the 2nd floor is made of metal…” Darrin says as he readies for the ring.
[Tue Sep 18 21:46:42 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil tosses the ring up at Darrin. “Check the silent rooms, but if they’re empty hurry back.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:47:33 2007] : (803) Sil: Looking to the rest of the group, Sil closes his eyes and begins thinking out loud.
[Tue Sep 18 21:47:54 2007] : *
(814) Darrin “I will return soon” he says as he palces the second ring on his other finger and makes way towards the door. “Gone” he says as he slides out hsi door and makes his way to the first silent room… *
[Tue Sep 18 21:48:00 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+6] => [12,6] = (18)
[Tue Sep 18 21:48:06 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+10] => [18,10] = (28)
[Tue Sep 18 21:48:18 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Move Silent / Open Lock))
[Tue Sep 18 21:49:35 2007] : (803) Sil: “If we could set a fire in there, we might be able to convince the majority of the workers to leave.”
[Tue Sep 18 21:50:36 2007] : (842) DM: The lock clicks open, and Darrin pushes the door open slowly, revealing what seems to be a small armoury. Row after row of spears – not the finest quality, but serviceable – and crossbows fill the small room, perhaps twenty of each. Two crates marked “bolts” sit beside the crossbows.
[Tue Sep 18 21:50:43 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Ohh good idea!! Send it telepathically to Darrin! hehe))
[Tue Sep 18 21:51:35 2007] : (814) Darrin: NOt seeing his target, darrin clsoes the door, ((COuld he use disable device to perm. lock the door?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:52:00 2007] : (842) DM: ((Umm… Probably not.))
[Tue Sep 18 21:52:01 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((aka. break the lock in the locked position))
[Tue Sep 18 21:52:15 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((ok))
[Tue Sep 18 21:52:55 2007] : (812) Axis: (…Well…if you say so. Back, by the way.)
[Tue Sep 18 21:53:07 2007] : (803) Sil: ((hmm… not a bad idea – next time Darrin pops out, I’m casting Message on him))
[Tue Sep 18 21:53:33 2007] : (842) DM: ((Oh, bugger, you can and all…))
[Tue Sep 18 21:53:45 2007] : (814) Darrin: With the door closed again, Darrin makes his way to the second quiet room, Pausing ot listen to and sounds as he crosses past the room with the male voices..
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:01 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe if I can, he does… ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:05 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+6] => [6,6] = (12)
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:10 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d100+10] => [46,10] = (56)
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:12 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+10] => [20,10] = (30)
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:18 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+3] => [18,3] = (21)
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:23 2007] : (842) DM: ((d100?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:27 2007] : (803) Sil: ((eh?))
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:36 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Move silent / Open Lock / Listen / Ignore the d100 ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:54:52 2007] : (814) Darrin: (( it was an accendent.. ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:56:32 2007] : (842) DM: Pausing to listen to the conversation, he catches a few words. “Dunno. Hanault said…” and “What if he doesn’t crack?” but can’t get any more.
[Tue Sep 18 21:57:57 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((nervous.. a 12 is not that silent… ))
[Tue Sep 18 21:59:29 2007] : (842) DM: Walking to the next door, Darrin puts his weight in the wrong place, and the metal creaks a bit. There is a moment of fear, but no one seems to have noticed. The next door is not locked. Opening it, Darrin finds a stairway leading to the lower level.
[Tue Sep 18 22:00:55 2007] : (814) Darrin: NOt finding any signs of the Orc, and his time runnign low, Darrin makes his way back towards the safe room, closing the door behind him…
[Tue Sep 18 22:01:05 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+6] => [17,6] = (23)
[Tue Sep 18 22:01:10 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((move silent))
[Tue Sep 18 22:01:42 2007] : *
(814) Darrin sticks his head out the window again… “The is not in any of the silent rooms. one is an armoury and the other containes the stairs to the lower level….” *
[Tue Sep 18 22:01:57 2007] : (842) DM: Darrin creeps back to the office, clicking the door shut just a few seconds before he pops back into view.
[Tue Sep 18 22:02:22 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((The was meant to be “He”))
[Tue Sep 18 22:03:01 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil casts a spell, one hand pointing towards Darrin the other towards Gitto.
[Tue Sep 18 22:03:20 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Message, now we can communicate semi-telapathically over range))
[Tue Sep 18 22:04:07 2007] : (814) Darrin: “Good Idea” Darrin whispers and send to Sil… “Any suggestions?”
[Tue Sep 18 22:04:43 2007] : (803) Sil: Whispering, Sil speaks just lound enough for those near him to hear – however, Darrin can hear him just fine. “If we set a fire on those wooden crates and boxes, we may be able to drive the workers out of the warehouse.”
[Tue Sep 18 22:06:10 2007] : *
(814) Darrin nods to himself… “A good idea… I have flint and steel with me… I will set fire to the armoury… Or shoudl I sneak to the bottom floor? near the people?” *
[Tue Sep 18 22:06:45 2007] : (803) Sil: “The bottom floor would be more risky, but much more likely to force everyone to leave.”
[Tue Sep 18 22:07:17 2007] : (803) Sil: “If you set fire to the armory, you should be able to toss some of the flaming bits and pieces down onto the main floor, however.”
[Tue Sep 18 22:07:42 2007] : (803) Sil: “We will stay out of t he warehouse and out of sight while the workers evacuate”
[Tue Sep 18 22:09:22 2007] : (814) Darrin: “Ok…” darrin sends from the bond as he looks aroudn the safe room for something that he can use for kindling.
[Tue Sep 18 22:09:53 2007] : (842) DM: The desk is strewn with papers.
[Tue Sep 18 22:10:03 2007] : (803) Sil: ((check the papers for information first!))
[Tue Sep 18 22:10:32 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil motions for everyone to stay back from the warehouse.
[Tue Sep 18 22:10:33 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Yep))
[Tue Sep 18 22:10:37 2007] : (842) DM: They seem to be mostly receipts and orders for various shipments.
[Tue Sep 18 22:11:06 2007] : (803) Sil: ((assuming we’re keeping in touch throught he bond))
[Tue Sep 18 22:11:39 2007] : (814) Darrin: Grabbing the papers, Darrin says “Gone” for the thrid tiem as he leaves from the safe room, to the armoury (good thing you didnt let me break the lock! lol))
[Tue Sep 18 22:11:42 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+6] => [4,6] = (10)
[Tue Sep 18 22:11:48 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((move silent! doh))
[Tue Sep 18 22:12:52 2007] : (803) Sil: ((you should just take ten, Dar))
[Tue Sep 18 22:13:22 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((yeah, i should! point taken… :-) ))
[Tue Sep 18 22:13:37 2007] : (842) DM: As Darrin scurries towards the armoury, he hits another weak spot. The metal creaks, a loud noise in the fairly subdued warehouse. The warehouse floor pauses for a moment as the workers look up, then return to work.
[Tue Sep 18 22:13:45 2007] : (842) DM: Unfortunately, they were not the only ones who heard it.
[Tue Sep 18 22:14:02 2007] : (803) Sil: ((aw craps))
[Tue Sep 18 22:14:38 2007] : (842) DM: The door that Darrin heard male voices behind unlocks and opens. A human and an incredibly ugly half-orc – perhaps more three-quarter orc, from his appearance – stride out, looking about for the source of the noise.
[Tue Sep 18 22:16:16 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((did the orc coem out before or after darrin entered the room? if before darrin will not open he door and try to wait the orc out… ohh and it isn t the orc we cwant is it?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:16:27 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((I mean entered the armoury))
[Tue Sep 18 22:16:35 2007] : (842) DM: ((Before.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:13 2007] : (812) Axis: ((Did I get DCed?)
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:15 2007] : (803) Sil: ((I so wish I could cast a spell into there:/))
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:26 2007] : (842) DM: ((Not that I saw, Sith))
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:34 2007] : (814) Darrin: As the orc looks around, Darrin tries to stay as quiet and motionless as possible.. “Hopefully he will dgo back inside” he thinks to himself as he tries to peer inside without moving
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:42 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20-1] => [3,-1] = (2)
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:44 2007] : (812) Sithobi1 (exit): 22:17
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:52 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hehe didnt think i’d see anything.. but a try…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:17:52 2007] : (860) Sithobi1 (enter): 22:17
[Tue Sep 18 22:18:07 2007] : (842) DM: The room looks to be another office, much like the one Darrin just came from.
[Tue Sep 18 22:18:10 2007] : (803) Sil: ((ah, that was a spot check – here I was hoping it wasn’t a Move Silent))
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:07 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((thankfully not…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:14 2007] : (860) Axis: ((I think I missed quite a bit.)
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:22 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((hopefulyl the orc goes back inside before the spell wares off))
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:23 2007] : (842) DM: ((Hold on, sending you a log))
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:33 2007] : (803) Sil: ((we’re in the middle of trying to set fire to the warehouse)
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:33 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Darrin is goign to try and start a fire Axis…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:19:50 2007] : (803) Sil: ((my brilliant idea, if I say so myself))
[Tue Sep 18 22:20:19 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((you did.. hehe it was a great idea…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:20:50 2007] : (842) DM: The human calls to the workers. “What was that?” None of them reply, and the man glares at them for a long moment. “Get back to work, you lazy mongrels.”
[Tue Sep 18 22:21:20 2007] : (842) DM: They both turn around and go back into the office, the man muttering as he does so. They close the door, but do not lock it.
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:05 2007] : *
(802) Gitto found the F4 macro key *
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:06 2007] : *
(802) Gitto found the F5 macro key *
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:06 2007] : *
(802) Gitto found the F6 macro key *
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:08 2007] : (802) Gitto: (Done)
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:09 2007] : (802) Gitto: (Done)
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:09 2007] : (802) Gitto: (Done)
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:09 2007] : (802) Gitto: (Done)
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:16 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((haha)
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:24 2007] : (803) Sil: ((que?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:27 2007] : (842) DM: ((I think Troll has a cat or small child…?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:22:30 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((5 mo old grabbed the keyboard))
[Tue Sep 18 22:23:55 2007] : (814) Darrin: As they close their door, Darrin gives a sigh of reief as he makes his way into the Armoury (Take 10: 16 move silent). Once inside the room, he palces the papers ontop of a wooden crate and pulls his flint and steel frmo his belt pouch and attempts to light a fire.
[Tue Sep 18 22:25:29 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((thinking startign it on the 2nd floor was best… but eh, already started it!))
[Tue Sep 18 22:25:44 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((err i mean startign it on the ground floor was prolyl best…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:02 2007] : (842) DM: Carefully blowing and tending the sparks, Darrin gets a small flame going on the papers. He moves the papers around a bit, and soon has the top of the crate scorching nicely.
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:13 2007] : (860) Axis: ((Wouldn’t…the fire kill everyone?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:18 2007] : (842) DM: *burning nicely
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:27 2007] : (803) Sil: ((would be nice, but no – we haven’t blocked the door))
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:31 2007] : (803) Sil: ((but we can if you want to!))
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:34 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((We can still bring back a body!))
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:40 2007] : (842) DM: ((That’s one way to leave no witnesses…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:26:43 2007] : (803) Sil: ((remember: we were told to leave no witnesses))
[Tue Sep 18 22:27:44 2007] : (860) Axis: ((As the body is more destroyed, it will be harder to resurrect))
[Tue Sep 18 22:27:59 2007] : (814) Darrin: As the top of the crate starst to burn, Darrin attempts to pull a peice of burnign lumber off of it.. ((I wonder.. if you go invis while holding fire, does it go invis?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:06 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Bah, we’ll just need to pick it up))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:08 2007] : (842) DM: ((Remember that everyone presumeably knows what’s going on, through the Message. I should’ve planned it to give everyone else more to do, I guess.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:11 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Darrin yes))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:12 2007] : (860) Axis: ((Not unless you tuck it inside your clothes))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:16 2007] : (803) Sil: ((But the light is not invisible))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:24 2007] : (842) DM: ((The wood would, but not the light))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:30 2007] : (860) Axis: ((Wrong. Things you pick up don’t go invisible.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:39 2007] : (860) Axis: ((Not until you tuck them inside your clothes, anyway.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:40 2007] : (803) Sil: ((just means he has to use another use of hte ring))
[Tue Sep 18 22:28:47 2007] : (860) Axis: ((And I don’t think you want a burning log inside your clothes.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:29:00 2007] : (803) Sil: ((though he’s just going to toss it anyways, isn’t he?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:29:01 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((yeah, I dont…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:29:04 2007] : (860) Axis: ((Pick up a non-burning log, tuck it under your shirt, then pull it out and light it.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:29:06 2007] : (842) DM: ((He’s right))
[Tue Sep 18 22:29:35 2007] : (803) Sil: “Now, while he does this, an important question: Do we want to allow the workers to escape?”
[Tue Sep 18 22:30:02 2007] : (803) Sil: “We were told to leave no witnesses. That could be interpreted to kill those in the warehouse. If we block the doors…”
[Tue Sep 18 22:30:44 2007] : (814) Darrin: Darrin kows it is risky, But with the burning peice of wood, darrin makes his way towards the door. “Gone he says for the fourth time” as he makes his way out of the armoury, closing the door behind him. Darrin holds the burrnign wood as close ot the floor as he can making his way to the stairs ((Take 10 o nmove silent… 16 total))
[Tue Sep 18 22:31:03 2007] : (860) Axis: “I cannot condone the wholesale slaughter of these people. If they are witnesses, they see nothing except a random fire.”"
[Tue Sep 18 22:31:49 2007] : (803) Sil: “True enough. I have no objection to either course of action.”
[Tue Sep 18 22:32:18 2007] : (842) DM: Opening the door, Darrin sees one of the workers look up at what appears to be a floating, flaming piece of wood. He nudges the man nearest him, who looks up just as Darrin starts going down the stairs.
[Tue Sep 18 22:32:35 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Tic – the flaming piece of wood is invisible))
[Tue Sep 18 22:32:48 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Darrin reactivated the ring, which will turn torches, but not their light, invisible))
[Tue Sep 18 22:32:49 2007] : (842) DM: Meh. Ok then, they look up at the light))
[Tue Sep 18 22:33:05 2007] : (860) Axis: ((If the room is already well-lighted, they shouldn’t notice it easily.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:33:29 2007] : (860) Axis: ((They see the light, but not its origin.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:33:40 2007] : (842) DM: ((It’s the lower city. You can see, but I wouldn’t recommend reading without a light source nearby))
[Tue Sep 18 22:34:13 2007] : (814) Darrin: Seeign the men, Darrin bounces the wood down the stairs, in an attempt to make it look as natural as possible. ((he tried to hold it as near to the floor ro begin with…)) As he lests go of the burnign wood, he quickly makes hsi way back towards the safe room…
[Tue Sep 18 22:34:38 2007] : (842) DM: ((Uhh… it’s a stone floor…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:35:06 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Doh! lol… I was thinkign wood.. let me rephrase that :
) ))
[Tue Sep 18 22:35:19 2007] : (803) Sil: ((throw it at the wooden crates and such))
[Tue Sep 18 22:35:20 2007] : (842) DM: ((I was under the impression you were going to hit the goods with it))
[Tue Sep 18 22:35:29 2007] : (842) DM: ((‘k))
[Tue Sep 18 22:36:37 2007] : (814) Darrin: Seeing the two men notice the light, Darrin turns back towards the ledge. As he looks down at the crates, He tosses the torch towarsd them… Heading back towards the safe froom when finished… ((Doh, messed this one up.. ))
[Tue Sep 18 22:37:05 2007] : (842) DM: Darrin hurls the wood, which sails through the air and into a crate. The workers stare at it for a moment, then one yells “Run!”. The upstairs door bursts open again just as the crate of alcohol explodes, sending firey debris everywhere.
[Tue Sep 18 22:37:09 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Figured a tourch fallign frmo the 2nd floor might cause a notice.. tried ot nsneek down ot the 1st floor and light in secret.. bad Idea I guess…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:37:44 2007] : (814) Darrin: As the commotion happens, Darrin tries to make his way into the safe room as fast as possible…
[Tue Sep 18 22:37:52 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+6] => [1,6] = (7)
[Tue Sep 18 22:38:00 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((That was a bad move silent… ))
[Tue Sep 18 22:38:03 2007] : (803) Sil: ((awesome! Alcohol ’splosions!!!)))
[Tue Sep 18 22:38:15 2007] : (842) DM: “What the…” the human mutters as he stands there, unaware of his position between Darrin and the office he was hiding in.
[Tue Sep 18 22:38:20 2007] : (803) Sil: ((not like you need to move too silently anyways))
[Tue Sep 18 22:38:44 2007] : (842) DM: “Wizard!” one of the workers yells. “Wizard!”
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:05 2007] : (842) DM: “Wizard!” one of the workers yells. “Wizard!”
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:11 2007] : (842) DM: ((Test…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:18 2007] : (802) Gitto: tesyt
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:24 2007] : (842) DM: ((If anyone can see this, contact me over MSN))
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:28 2007] : (865) Duendao (enter): 22:39
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:55 2007] : (842) DM: ((Got it))
[Tue Sep 18 22:39:58 2007] : (856) Kungfu Joe (enter): 22:39
[Tue Sep 18 22:40:06 2007] : (842) DM: ((Ok, came flooding in))
[Tue Sep 18 22:40:26 2007] : Attempting to assign the role of PLAYER to (860) Sithobi1…
[Tue Sep 18 22:41:03 2007] : (865) Duendao: Disconnecting from server…
[Tue Sep 18 22:41:03 2007] : (865) Duendao (exit): 22:41
[Tue Sep 18 22:41:21 2007] : (803) Sil: ((ALright, so what’s Darrin going to do now that a man is between him and the exit?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:41:23 2007] : (856) Kungfu Joe (exit): 22:41
[Tue Sep 18 22:42:01 2007] : (842) DM: The workers are trying to flee, several running towards the main door to escape the flames, now covering most of the warehouse floor.
[Tue Sep 18 22:42:17 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Aye, is it wide enough to make it around him?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:42:37 2007] : (842) DM: ((You could try. Platform’s 5 ft, there’s an orc and a human to bypass))
[Tue Sep 18 22:42:38 2007] : (802) Gitto: “should we go in… pretend we are here to help?” to the others
[Tue Sep 18 22:42:46 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil looks to the others. “We should probably use our rings now. Be silent, be gone”
[Tue Sep 18 22:43:08 2007] : (842) DM: On the outside, there is grinding noise, then the door flies open, presenting the rest of the team with eight panicked peasants.
[Tue Sep 18 22:43:10 2007] : *
(802) Gitto wishes he could find a bucket to complete the ruse *
[Tue Sep 18 22:43:12 2007] : (803) Sil: ((actually, git, that’s a horribly awesome idea… too bad I just activated my stupid ring))
[Tue Sep 18 22:43:28 2007] : (802) Gitto: “Oh… or that…”
[Tue Sep 18 22:43:56 2007] : (802) Gitto: “be gone” he says and moves in the warehouse
[Tue Sep 18 22:44:00 2007] : (802) Gitto: into
[Tue Sep 18 22:44:15 2007] : (803) Sil: Whispering, Sil speaks just loud enough for the others to hear. “Try and remain inconspicous and don’t disappear in front of anyone”
[Tue Sep 18 22:44:20 2007] : (803) Sil: ((great timing, Gitto)
[Tue Sep 18 22:44:22 2007] : (842) DM: They do not need much convincing, pushing passed the team as they bolt from the flames.
[Tue Sep 18 22:45:22 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil moves into the warehouse, trying to remain silent but not trying overly hard.
[Tue Sep 18 22:45:29 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Take ten move silently))
[Tue Sep 18 22:46:23 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((which technically you can’t do))
[Tue Sep 18 22:46:27 2007] : (842) DM: As Gitto strides into the warehouse, the human on the platform looks down at him. “Oi! Who’re you? Get out of here!”
[Tue Sep 18 22:46:46 2007] : (842) DM: ((Mmm. I did kinda wonder, being an opposed roll and all))
[Tue Sep 18 22:47:02 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((cant take 10 on anything that you can fail or when stressed))
[Tue Sep 18 22:47:42 2007] : (803) Sil: ((doh! coulda sworn you could take ten on move silently…))
[Tue Sep 18 22:47:57 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Gitto used his ring, Tic))
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:12 2007] : (842) DM: ((Oops. Musta missed that.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:15 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((certain prcls and feats you can))
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:20 2007] : (802) Gitto: “be gone” he says and moves in the warehouse
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:29 2007] : (842) DM: ((In that case, the man doesn’t comment.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:44 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((though the clomping of the warforged might give him away))
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:51 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Was darrin able to get aroudn he man, into the safe room?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:48:53 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((whenever it quiets down))
[Tue Sep 18 22:49:15 2007] : (842) DM: The place is an inferno, the scattered alcohol either blazing away at the rest of the cargo, or sizzling into nothingness on the stone floor.
[Tue Sep 18 22:49:18 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((and if the smoke gets too thick… we’ll look like voids in the cloud))
[Tue Sep 18 22:49:31 2007] : (842) DM: ((Make a Dex check, I guess, Darrin))
[Tue Sep 18 22:49:56 2007] : (842) DM: Any footsteps that might be too loud are drowned in the crackle of fire, which is almost too hot to bear.
[Tue Sep 18 22:50:00 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil tries to avoid bumping into anyone and looks for Darrin, spotting him above the smoke. “Try and get out, Darrin!”
[Tue Sep 18 22:50:33 2007] : (803) Sil: “Non-forged should be careful – you could choke on the smoke”
[Tue Sep 18 22:50:52 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((tumble?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:50:57 2007] : (803) Sil: ((is the fire hot enough to be dangerous to ‘forged?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:50:58 2007] : (842) DM: The man responds to the call. “What…” he turns to the orc. "They’re invisible! Let them out, I’ll get Hanault!"
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:10 2007] : (814) Darrin: [1d20+7] => [14,7] = (21)
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:12 2007] : (803) Sil: ((what call?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:15 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Tumble Check))
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:19 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Message, remember?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:25 2007] : (803) Sil: ((Nearly silent))
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:30 2007] : (842) DM: ((If you stick around it will be. At the moment… it’s not damaging, just painful.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:51:46 2007] : (842) DM: ((Oh, bugger.))
[Tue Sep 18 22:52:06 2007] : (842) DM: The man calls to the orc over the crackling flames.
[Tue Sep 18 22:52:17 2007] : (842) DM: “C’mon, let’s get out of here!”
[Tue Sep 18 22:52:58 2007] : (842) DM: Both turn and run towards the other locked room, the one where Darrin heard the other voices.
[Tue Sep 18 22:53:10 2007] : (803) Sil: “Let them get out of the way, Darrin”
[Tue Sep 18 22:53:19 2007] : (842) DM: Rapping loudly on it, the human yells “let us in! The damned place is on fire!”"
[Tue Sep 18 22:53:21 2007] : (803) Sil: ((though a 21 tumble should work, too))
[Tue Sep 18 22:53:26 2007] : *
(802) Gitto shimmies out of the way…. *
[Tue Sep 18 22:53:29 2007] : *
(814) Darrin makes sure to stay out of their way… *
[Tue Sep 18 22:53:33 2007] : (842) DM: ((Other side of the room, hang on, let me map it up))
[Tue Sep 18 22:54:22 2007] : (842) DM: ((Hope that’s understandable))
[Tue Sep 18 22:54:39 2007] : (842) DM: The door opens, and both men run through.
[Tue Sep 18 22:55:29 2007] : (842) DM: ((Test?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:55:36 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((I see it))
[Tue Sep 18 22:55:39 2007] : (803) Sil: ((whatup ho?))
[Tue Sep 18 22:56:20 2007] : *
(802) Gitto lets them on their way and tries to catch up *
[Tue Sep 18 22:56:30 2007] : (803) Sil: Trying to stay away from any people running about, Sil looks around, trying to find another door on this floor.
[Tue Sep 18 22:56:45 2007] : (842) DM: There are no other doors on the ground floor.
[Tue Sep 18 22:57:13 2007] : (803) Sil: “Darrin, they must have him in that last room.”
[Tue Sep 18 22:58:07 2007] : (814) Darrin: “I agree” darrin whispers across the bond.. “There are at least two men in there… a Human and an Orc”
[Tue Sep 18 22:58:27 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil begins bounding up the stairs, trying to get up before anyone leaves that room.
[Tue Sep 18 22:59:43 2007] : (842) DM: Both men have disappeared into the last room, the one on the right hand side that Darrin heard voices from.
[Tue Sep 18 23:00:19 2007] : (814) Darrin: still invisable, but for how long? Darrin heads towards the same room as the two men.. Hoping to get a peek inside othe room if they ahve not closed the doors…
[Tue Sep 18 23:00:40 2007] : (842) DM: ((The dor is closed. The office they came from is not))
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:06 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((kk.. darrin will check out their room first…))
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:14 2007] : *
(802) Gitto will try to open the closed door *
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:26 2007] : (802) Gitto: (figured I’ve caught up by now)
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:37 2007] : (842) DM: ((I need to know who’s where before I go into what’s in the rooms))
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:48 2007] : *
(860) Axis is still outside…I guess *
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:52 2007] : (842) DM: ((Or at least who was going for what room))
[Tue Sep 18 23:01:53 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil approaches the entrance to the last room and tries to hear what’s going on in it.
[Tue Sep 18 23:02:00 2007] : (803) Sil: ((outside the last room))
[Tue Sep 18 23:02:12 2007] : (803) Sil: Listen: 1d20-1
[Tue Sep 18 23:02:17 2007] : (803) Sil: Er, [1d20-1] => [3,-1] = (2)
[Tue Sep 18 23:02:18 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Darrin near the safe room, going back towards the room the ugly orc left…))
[Tue Sep 18 23:02:54 2007] : (842) DM: ((So, Darrin’s going for the unexplored office, Axis and Gitto are at the door the human/orc went into, and Axis is outside.
[Tue Sep 18 23:02:59 2007] : (842) DM: ((Plugsy?))
[Tue Sep 18 23:03:11 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((That sounds about right… ))
[Tue Sep 18 23:03:36 2007] : (803) Sil: ((I’m not sure he’s still here… kinda been absent most of the game, it seems))
[Tue Sep 18 23:03:47 2007] : (842) DM: ((Mmm… Ok))
[Tue Sep 18 23:04:01 2007] : (842) DM: ((Gitto, how are you opening the door, just turning the handle, or…?))
[Tue Sep 18 23:04:06 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((yeah, i tihnk he left to practice some.. goign ot catch next mission…))
[Tue Sep 18 23:05:12 2007] : (802) Gitto: ((sorry dealing with child))
[Tue Sep 18 23:05:22 2007] : *
(802) Gitto tries to open the door and see if its locked or not *
[Tue Sep 18 23:07:11 2007] : (842) DM: Gitto turns the handle, and the door opens, revealing a small room, which leads to a long corridor. The room is empty, save for a puddle of dark liquid on the floor in one spot.
[Tue Sep 18 23:07:56 2007] : (842) DM: The corridor is badly lit. All that can be seen is that there is a light at the end of its length, which is at least three hundred feet.
[Tue Sep 18 23:08:45 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Darrin see anything in the room they left?))
[Tue Sep 18 23:08:49 2007] : (802) Gitto: “what is this…this is a long way to go”
[Tue Sep 18 23:09:01 2007] : (842) DM: ((Oh, sorry))
[Tue Sep 18 23:09:03 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil looks down the coridoor and curses. “Lets hope our charge is on the other side of this coridoor.”
[Tue Sep 18 23:09:55 2007] : (802) Gitto: “we didn’t miss him did we?”
[Tue Sep 18 23:09:59 2007] : (842) DM: The office is mostly empty. More papers on shipments and cargo.
[Tue Sep 18 23:10:41 2007] : (803) Sil: “Darrin, we need to go down this corridor. Try and tell Axis to get up here and follow us!”
[Tue Sep 18 23:11:40 2007] : (814) Darrin: Darrin leaves the room and makes his way back towards the safe room, to stick his head out the wind to get Axis’ attention. “Axis, there is a corridor here, come inside…” he says
[Tue Sep 18 23:11:43 2007] : (803) Sil: “hopefully the fire is not too much for you two, but this is our only lead!”
[Tue Sep 18 23:12:19 2007] : (842) DM: The fire is burning fiercely. The remaining teammembers can probably get in, but they won’t be able to get back out for much longer.
[Tue Sep 18 23:12:31 2007] : *
(802) Gitto starts down the corridor… *
[Tue Sep 18 23:12:50 2007] : (802) Gitto: (he avoids the puddle… not liking things that can cause rust)
[Tue Sep 18 23:12:55 2007] : (803) Sil: “The corridor is an escape shaft, don’t worry about leaving through the warehouse!”
[Tue Sep 18 23:13:09 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil follows Gitto, similarly avoiding the puddle.
[Tue Sep 18 23:13:34 2007] : *
(860) Axis follows them. *
[Tue Sep 18 23:13:37 2007] : (803) Sil: He does, however, look for any place the puddle may have come from.
[Tue Sep 18 23:13:43 2007] : (803) Sil: [1d20+2] => [17,2] = (19) Search
[Tue Sep 18 23:13:56 2007] : (803) Sil: ((er, that’s a +3, so a 20))
[Tue Sep 18 23:14:12 2007] : (814) Darrin: with Axis entering the warehouse, Darri nreturns to follow Sil down the corridor.. HIs invisability surely gone by now…
[Tue Sep 18 23:14:15 2007] : (842) DM: There is no sign.
[Tue Sep 18 23:14:46 2007] : (842) DM: Gitto heads down the corridor, the cool air a relief from the inferno they leave behind. The blackness envelops them, just the light ahead and the distant crackle of fire behind.
[Tue Sep 18 23:14:55 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil shrugs, but continues down the corridor.
[Tue Sep 18 23:14:58 2007] : (842) DM: *no sign of where it came from
[Tue Sep 18 23:15:22 2007] : (803) Sil: “Watch out for the puddle – might be something dangerous”
[Tue Sep 18 23:15:37 2007] : (842) DM: Jogging for a bit to catch up with Gitto, the team reaches the end of it at roughly the same time.
[Tue Sep 18 23:16:04 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil uses his ring again to make sure he’s invisible and pokes his head out.
[Tue Sep 18 23:16:10 2007] : (842) DM: ((Sil and Gitto’ve got maybe a minute left on invisibility. Anyone else activating it?))
[Tue Sep 18 23:16:53 2007] : (842) DM: ((No? ’k))
[Tue Sep 18 23:17:03 2007] : (814) Darrin: Darrin will stand back for a moment, let them scout out a bit…
[Tue Sep 18 23:17:13 2007] : *
(802) Gitto is trying to make good time and find the guy they are supposed to save *
[Tue Sep 18 23:17:17 2007] : (803) Sil: “Darrin, switch to your second ring when you run out of uses”
[Tue Sep 18 23:17:44 2007] : (814) Darrin: ((Actually, Darrin will switch rings for the other ring with 5 left and use it.. so 4 left on one ring and 2 left on another…))
[Tue Sep 18 23:19:08 2007] : (842) DM: Sil emerges from the corridor, onto another platform, this one a good twenty feet from the floor below him. This room is another warehouse, but it holds no crates of goods.
[Tue Sep 18 23:21:11 2007] : *
(802) Gitto starts looking around of course **
[Tue Sep 18 23:22:23 2007] : (842) DM: Thirty or so men are scattered across the floor, some standing, some lounging about. The sound of chatter and even laughter can be heard – and every single one of them is dead. Skeletons are chatting with zombies, as though they were alive and well. One zombie stands up, and where he had been sitting is a stain of dark liquid. Over the top of it all is a massive banner – the flag of Karrnath.
[Tue Sep 18 23:22:52 2007] : (803) Sil: “Well, this doesn’t look promising”
[Tue Sep 18 23:23:25 2007] : (803) Sil: Sil looks for the human and orc who left through the corridor.

[Troll]

“Is it too late to go back? I think we made a wrong turn somewhere.” Gitto says. He face shows nothing. But his voice expresses severe ’buyer’s remorse’ from coming this way.

[Langy]

Sil takes a long, hard look at the assorted zombies, skeletons, and other vile forms of un-life. “It is unfortunate we burned our bridges getting here – all we can do now is press forwards. Be careful to be silent – judging by their interactions, these skeletons don’t look to be the normal mindless undead. We will have to stay invisible as we move through the area.” Sil speaks in a low voice as he addresses the group, but he makes no move to leave the relative safety of the corridor just yet. Instead, he turns and begins looking for the orc and human they had followed here and for any doors or other ways out of the big room before them.

[Stychkn]

(OOC: Was the corridor we traveled down metal, wood or stone?)

[ticattack]

(OOC: Stone)

[Sithobi1]

While his other teammate looks for the people they followed, Axis looks for the man they were supposed to rescue, hoping to find him alive and well…

[Log]

The room the team stands above is, like the one they just came from, two levels. They stand on the platform, while about eight feet down is the level where the undead stand.
[10:46:47] (1970) Darrin: Following behind, hidden by his potion, Darrin looks for any signes of the ones they wre following or the oen they are looking for
[10:47:05] (1953) DM: There are no living beings visible, but there is one other door leading from here. It is hanging slightly ajar.
[10:47:08] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Listen Check [1d20+3] => [16,3] = (19)
[10:48:15] whispering to Darrin, The undead are laughing about what someone called “Hanault” is going to do to “Rotrick” and “Aern”.
[10:48:18] (1959) Sil: Sil, his Message spell with Darrin and Gitto still active, looks at the door with curiosity and whispers under his breath. “Darrin, try and see what’s on the other side.”
[10:48:32] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Spot [1d20-1] => [17,-1] = (16)
[10:48:44] (1976) Gitto: “Go ahead” whispers mechanically
[10:49:21] (1970) Darrin: “OK” darrin send accross the bond as he makes his way as silent as he can towards the door trying to peer throguh it….
[10:49:56] (1953) DM: ((That mappery come through?))
[10:50:02] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Spot [1d20-1] => [6,-1] = (5), Move Silently [1d20+6] => [8,6] = (14)
[10:50:25] (1970) Darrin: ((yeah))
[10:51:34] (1953) DM: Peeking through the crack, Darrin sees another hall, though not as long as the last. Three doors are visible in the light cast by an everbright lantern. From the furthest one comes the sound of muffled argument.
[10:51:57] (1953) DM: ((Chuck your minis on the map?))
[10:53:02] (1959) Sil: Sil steps forwards quietly towards the door
[10:53:11] (1959) Sil: Skill: Move Silently [1d20] => 14 = (14)
[10:53:46] (1959) Sil: "We need to check these rooms. You check the last, I’ll see the others.
[10:54:24] (1970) Darrin: Darrin agrees as he makes his way silently down to the very last door, and lsitens at it
[10:54:40] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Listen Check [1d20+3] => [1,3] = (4), Spot [1d20-1] => [15,-1] = (14), Move Silently [1d20+6] => [8,6] = (14)
[10:54:49] (1959) Sil: Sil moves through the cramped corridor, heading for the middle doors. Once reaching the middle door, Sil listens on the right hand side.
[10:54:53] (1953) DM: The undead are making enough noise, chatter and laughter, to cover up all but the most noisy intruder.
[10:55:08] (1959) Sil: Skills: Move Silently [1d20] => 8 = (8), Spot [1d20-1] => [9,-1] = (8), LIsten [1d20-1] => [1,-1] = (0)
[10:55:24] * (1976) Gitto stays out of the way *
[10:55:27] (1959) Sil: ((ouchies:/ Damned Listen))
[10:55:30] (1970) Darrin: NOt hearing much, darrin tries to hear more….
[10:55:36] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Listen Check [1d20+3] => [18,3] = (21)
[10:56:32] (1953) DM: Darrin hears a woman’s voice, berating someone. “You idiots!” she cries. “Are you that incompetent that you can’t keep a simple door locked!?”
[10:56:42] (1953) DM: Sil doesn’t hear much of anything.
[10:56:57] (1959) Sil: Sil shakes his head and tries to listen on the opposite door.
[10:57:05] (1959) Sil: Skill: Listen [1d20-1] => [15,-1] = (14)
[10:57:45] (1953) DM: There is faint banging, like wood on stone.
[10:59:09] (1970) Darrin: Darrin wispers, “There is a woman and possibly the men in here.. but I do not knwo of your target… check the locks on the other doors…”
[10:59:17] (1970) Darrin: to send it accross the bond
[11:00:00] (1959) Sil: Sil whispers quietly. “This is strange – I hear wood banging against stone. What would do that?”
[11:00:08] (1953) DM: Both of the other doors are locked, each with two locks.
[11:01:55] (1970) Darrin: “A chair, wood.. a prisoneer tryign to free himself….” Darrin sends accross the bond… “Let me unlock that door…” he says as he moves to join sil and unlock the door ((UNless sil says not too))
[11:02:22] (1976) Gitto: “thay our guy?” whispers
[11:02:28] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Listen Check [1d20+3] => [14,3] = (17), Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [3,8] = (11), Move Silently [1d20+6] => [1,6] = (7)
[11:02:28] (1959) Sil: Sil nods and moves off tot he side
[11:02:54] (1970) Darrin: Failing ot open the lock, Darrin tries again…
[11:03:02] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [7,8] = (15)
[11:03:44] (1970) Darrin: ((KK will keep rolling till I get a good score.. takign a 20 would be too long…))
[11:04:04] (1953) DM: Darrin fiddles with the lock, but gets nowhere.
[11:04:10] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [12,8] = (20)
[11:05:14] (1953) DM: ((Nope))
[11:05:38] (1953) DM: ((What’s your modifier?))
[11:06:25] (1953) DM: ((Oh, wait. Duh. 8))
[11:06:36] (1953) DM: ((You’re not going to get it))
[11:07:16] (1959) Sil: ((suckage))
[11:07:31] (1970) Darrin: ((Ahh thanks… :-( ))
[11:07:54] (1959) Sil: Sil frowns. “Doesn’t look like this is going to work, Darrin. Maybe we should look for a key.”
[11:08:07] (1970) Darrin: “I cannot open it….” Darrin send across the bond…. “Seems finesse is not going to work.. might b tiem to ransack the room with the woman….”
[11:08:26] (1953) DM: Without warning, the door to their right flies open, and a human woman strides out, her pace rapid and her expression furious. She steps past Darrin and Sil, who have to scramble to one side to avoid her. Behind her, the orc and human scurry out, following like dogs with their tails between their legs.
[11:08:35] (1976) Gitto: (ARTIFICER add 2 synergy?)
[11:08:49] (1959) Sil: ((We have no artificer:/))
[11:09:09] (1976) Gitto: (anyone with o lock?)
[11:09:09] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Spot [1d20-1] => [19,-1] = (18)
[11:09:26] (1953) DM: She stops on the centre of the walkway, looking down at the undead. “We have intruders. You are to find them and bring them to me, preferably dead.”
[11:09:33] (1970) Darrin: ((Darrin has open lock.. it is at +8 and not working…))
[11:09:47] (1970) Darrin: ((The spot check was to see if she had a key))
[11:09:55] (1976) Gitto: (was looking to add +2)
[11:10:06] (1976) Gitto: nm
[11:10:13] (1959) Sil: Sil looks at the woman and frowns. His hands itch to attack, but he holds off and waits.
[11:10:16] (1953) DM: The woman’s clothing is loose. No key is visible, but it’s possible she has it in a pocket or something.
[11:10:25] (1970) Darrin: ((OHH i see what you mean.. by aiding me))
[11:10:29] (1976) Gitto: y
[11:10:42] (1970) Darrin: ((Did she leave her door open?))
[11:10:46] (1953) DM: ((She did.))
[11:11:08] (1970) Darrin: Seeign her door open, Darrin quickly, and silently moves into her room….
[11:11:17] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Listen Check [1d20
3] => [6,3] = (9), Spot [1d20-1] => [6,-1] = (5), Move Silently [1d20+6] => [15,6] = (21)
[11:11:33] (1970) Darrin: ((Woot! good move silent roll))
[11:12:56] * (1976) Gitto freezes… and shrinks to one side of the hall *
[11:13:23] (1976) Gitto: ((lets see if not feeding, medicating, holding and rocking a baby improves my participation))
[11:13:34] (1953) DM: The room is, surprisingly, not an office. An expensive-looking lounge takes up the far wall, across from the door, scattered with cushions and pillows.
[11:13:40] * (1976) Gitto is ready to attack… wondering if the others are thinking the same thing… *
[11:13:58] (1976) Gitto: He’s much to worried even a whisper would give them away at this range.
[11:14:05] (1953) DM: The walls on either side hold a massive bookcase, and a wall-size Karrnath flag.
[11:14:07] * (1970) Darrin ghopes gitto does not attack with all of those undead lookign up at th ewoman…. *
[11:15:02] (1953) DM: The undead have put their various games down, and are now clambering up the walls onto the main platform.
[11:16:03] (1970) Darrin: darrin looks along the walls for a trap or secret door alogn for any keys….
[11:16:10] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Search Check [1d20+3] => [9,3] = (12)
[11:16:10] (1976) Gitto: ((as in scrambling around for us… but randomly?))
[11:16:11] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Search Check [1d20+3] => [14,3] = (17)
[11:16:21] (1953) DM: ((Pretty much.))
[11:17:05] (1959) Sil: Sil moves down into the same room as Darrin, similarly looking for any secrets, traps, or items of interest.
[11:17:18] (1959) Sil: Skills: Move Silently [1d20] => 20 = (20) Search [1d20+3] => [7,3] = (10)
[11:18:07] (1976) Gitto: ((crud baby isn’t sleeping…))
[11:18:19] (1953) DM: ((Do what you’ve got do to))
[11:18:29] (1959) Sil: ((uhoh))
[11:18:49] (1970) Darrin: ((Fdid I find anything?))
[11:19:59] (1953) DM: Neither Darrin nor Sil find a key – that being said, if it was, for example, hidden in a book, it would take far too long to search each and every one of the thousands on the wall.
[11:20:51] (1970) Darrin: “Thsi does not look good….” Darrin sends accross the bond..
[11:21:44] (1959) Sil: ((I’m having a hard time imagining how we’re going to survive this…))
[11:21:58] (1959) Sil: ((Oh, and the Hanault picture isn’t loading for me))
[11:22:11] (1970) Darrin: ((Same on both accounts!))
[11:22:37] (1970) Darrin: ((Where is the picture of axis?))
[11:23:04] (1953) DM: ((Sith may have gone kerpoof…))
[11:24:24] * (1976) Gitto slowly moves… *
[11:24:43] (1970) Darrin: ((You jsut wanted to kill us! lol))
[11:25:22] (1953) DM: ((Isn’t that a DM’s job?))
[11:26:18] (1959) Sil: Sil moves over to the far corner of the room and begins casting a spell, hoping his words would go unheard.
[11:26:26] (1959) Sil: (Detect Secret Doors)
[11:26:40] (1970) Darrin: ((nice!))
[11:26:54] (1970) Darrin: ((ohh and yeah, it is tic))
[11:27:09] (1953) DM: ((Was beginning to think you’d forgotten you had that one ))
[11:27:10] (1959) Sil: ((It also should detect hidden book-compartments))
[11:27:32] (1959) Sil: ((Naw, I was just trying not to use it because it has a Verbal component, and thus could give away our position))
[11:28:10] (1959) Sil: ((though now that we’re being surrounded, it’s a bit less of an issue))
[11:28:40] (1953) DM: As Sil’s senses expand, his eyes are drawn to a single book on the mammoth case, a leatherbound tome entiled “Karrnath: the Immortal Kingdom”.
[11:29:52] (1953) DM: As some of the undead move down the corridor the team came from, towards the flames, others begin meandering towards their current position, moving slowly and swinging their weapons about, so as to detect any invisible foes.
[11:30:07] (1959) Sil: Sil moves quickly over to the book and grabs it, pulling it down from the bookcase.
[11:30:20] (1953) DM: ((This, I think, might best be adjudicated by initiative order))
[11:30:37] * (1976) Gitto moves into the room *
[11:30:44] (1959) Sil: ((shucks))
[11:30:50] (1976) Gitto: “there coming”
[11:30:59] (1970) Darrin: Darrin [1d20+4] => [2,4] = (6) init
[11:31:00] (1959) Sil: Initiative: [1d20+2] => [12,2] = (14)
[11:31:10] (1976) Gitto: Gitto [1d20+1] => [11,1] = (12) init
[11:31:32] whispering to tic, Skeletons [1d20+2] => [14,2] = (16), [1d20] => 11 = (11)
[11:32:45] (1976) Gitto: “back up.. we will take them 1 at a time”
[11:32:46] Server Administrator→ Kicking ‘(1963) Sithobi1’ from server… Removing dead client
[11:32:46] (1963) Sithobi1 (exit): 11:32
[11:32:47] (1953) DM: Twelve skeletons crowd around behind the zombies, moving up behind the more sturdy undead.
[11:33:54] * (1970) Darrin has no problem movign away fro mthe door…. *
[11:34:31] (1959) Sil: Sil is still grabbign at the book
[11:35:04] (1953) DM: ((So, where are you positioning yourself?))
[11:35:36] (1959) Sil: ((obviously whereever the book is in the room))
[11:35:47] (1959) Sil: ((if in the front, he’ll be there – but he’d prefer to be behind Gitto))
[11:36:07] (1953) DM: Opening the book, Sil finds what he was after – a key, solid iron, cold to the touch.
[11:36:21] (1976) Gitto: (best battle formation)
[11:36:36] (1953) DM: ((Move your minis as you wish.))
[11:36:43] (1959) Sil: Sil pulls out the key, keeping the book, and moves out of the room and down the corridor to the locked rooms.
[11:37:01] (1976) Gitto: uh oh
[11:37:14] (1959) Sil: Turning to the door on his left, the one where the sounds came from, and slips int he key and turns.
[11:37:32] * (1970) Darrin follows quietly behind *
[11:37:48] (1976) Gitto: “where are you going?” w
[11:38:17] (1970) Darrin: “Following Sil…” darrin says
[11:38:25] (1953) DM: The door opens to reveal a tiny room, bare of any furniture or ornamentation – except the bruised and bleeding orc bound to the chair with metal chains.
[11:38:30] (1976) Gitto: “this is the best spot to fight”
[11:38:49] (1959) Sil: “Fighting is hardly the best idea right now – we are massively outnumbered”
[11:39:09] (1953) DM: The zombies are still advancing, single file.
[11:39:13] (1976) Gitto: (ok i dont understand the map…)
[11:39:23] (1959) Sil: Sil runs forwards and looks at the chains, trying to find if there is an easy way to open them. If they’re locked, he’ll put in the key and try and open it.
[11:39:28] (1953) DM: ((Ok, time out))
[11:39:41] (1976) Gitto: (1 hd typing is bnot helping…)
[11:39:41] (1953) DM: ((What’s up?))
[11:39:51] (1953) DM: ((S’ok))
[11:40:27] (1976) Gitto: (i feel like they going to run nto undead)
[11:40:33] (1953) DM: ((You’ve got one main corridor, 5 ft. wide, where Sill/Darrin are. There’s three rooms that run off that – you’re in one, the orc is in the other.
[11:40:44] (1953) DM: Well… they probably are. In a five foot corridor.
[11:41:07] (1976) Gitto: ok…
[11:41:10] (1970) Darrin: ((Was hopeing that the orc room was goign to be bigger! :-)
[11:41:34] (1953) DM: ((Can’t make things too easy on you ))
[11:41:52] (1953) DM: ((Troll: are you still confused, or…?))
[11:41:59] (1976) Gitto: no
[11:42:07] (1953) DM: ((Cool. Time in.))
[11:42:09] (1970) Darrin: ((HeHe.. I’ll neve accuse you of that… well, except for that level 18fighter/2 warlock we killed))
[11:43:15] (1953) DM: ((Darrin’s action))
[11:43:59] (1970) Darrin: “I need to gie you this ring..” he says to sil alogn the bond as he watches
[11:44:23] * (1976) Gitto doesnt understand but follows along *
[11:44:53] (1953) DM: ((You can just whisper, you know… You’re standing next to each other))
[11:45:16] (1959) Sil: ((heh))
[11:45:34] (1959) Sil: Sil takes the ring, but still tries to find a way to free the orc.
[11:45:57] (1970) Darrin: looking up to see the undead coming, darrin whispers along the bond to Gitto and Sil, “they might not be able to see us, but they will be on us in a moment… Gitto was right, best to fight i nthe room.. then here…”
[11:46:32] (1953) DM: The chains are tied quite tightly to the chair.
[11:46:48] (1953) DM: Another padlock secures them, but the lock is too small for the key Sil holds.
[11:47:03] (1959) Sil: “Darrin – try and untie him.”
[11:47:29] (1959) Sil: Sil moves out of the way a little and turns to the door on the opposite side of the hall and tries to open it with the key.
[11:47:44] (1970) Darrin: As dSil moves, darrin enters the room and tries…
[11:47:51] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [11,8] = (19)
[11:48:07] (1953) DM: ((‘fraid not))
[11:48:49] (1970) Darrin: HE tries one more time
[11:48:52] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [10,8] = (18)
[11:49:13] (1953) DM: The skeletons and zombies advance another few feet.
[11:49:21] (1970) Darrin: “I need more time….” he whispers… "But those undead will be here soon… as he tries one last time
[11:49:27] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [12,8] = (20)
[11:49:54] (1953) DM: The lock clicks open.
[11:50:00] * (1976) Gitto moves to intercept *
[11:50:16] (1976) Gitto: (if it comes to that)
[11:50:27] (1970) Darrin: "I’ve got it!" Darin whispers as he starts to take the chains off…
[11:50:32] (1959) Sil: Sil still tries to open the opposite door as he tosses the ring back to the Orc
[11:51:18] (1953) DM: “Huh?” the orc mutters as a ring suddenly materialises in his lap and his chains fall to the floor.
[11:52:36] (1953) Urdan: “Invisible…” He pulls himself to his feet, stumbling against the wall. He’s clearly injured quite badly. He puts the ring on. “What’s the word?”
[11:53:17] (1970) Darrin: "Your being rescued by the twelve.. " Darrin says still invisable.. Placing the invis ring in his hand he says "put this on and say “gone” to turn invisable…"
[11:53:24] (1959) Sil: “Urdan – hurry. Gone, man!”
[11:54:02] * (1953) Urdan nods. “Gone”. He flickers instantly from sight. *
arrin: "Your being rescued by the twelve.. " Darrin says still invisable.. Placing the invis ring in his hand he says "put this on and say “gone” to turn invisable…" (1959) Sil: “Urdan – hurry. Gone, man!” (1959) Sil: At the mention of the Twelve, Sil swats at where he suspects Darrin to be. “Do not mention out patron!” (1970) Darrin: Darrin whispers accross the bond, “He is one of our own… It should calm him…” (1998) tic (enter): 21:55 (1959) Sil: “Others could be listening, and he might not be actually our target!” (1998) Urdan: ((I got kicked. Last I saw was Urdan saying gone))
[11:56:38] (1998) Urdan: ((Thanks))
[11:57:10] (1998) Urdan: Darrin feels the orc brush against him as he exits the room. A second later, there is a gasp, followed by “Host help us… Where is our escape route?”
[11:57:52] (1970) Darrin: Darrin chuckles a bit… “THat’s the trickey part…” as he waits for Sil to unlock the 3rd door
[11:58:17] (1998) Urdan: ((Sorry, what’d you roll?))
[11:58:24] (1998) Urdan: ((Wait, key…))
[11:58:28] (1970) Darrin: ((Sil has a key))
[11:58:41] (1976) Gitto: “can you shoot? you could take my bow”
[11:59:09] (1998) Urdan: The door clicks open, revealing another winding corridor. It goes for about fifteen feet, then turns a corner to the right.
[11:59:30] (1998) Urdan: “I… I am injured, but yes.”
[11:59:51] (1970) Darrin: Peering dow nthe Corridor Darrin says “Hurry, move down it.. Sil.. Lock it after we pass…”
[12:00:06] (1959) Sil: Sil hurries into the corridor, then stops and waits for the others to pass through.
[12:01:10] (1998) Urdan: As Sil locks the door, it appears that one of the zombies has started paying attention to the area not immediately around him. “There!” comes the cry, muffled by the thick door.
[12:01:12] * (1976) Gitto hands over his bow and quiver *
[12:01:34] * (1998) Urdan fumbles about for a minute before grasping the weapon. *
[12:01:45] (1976) Gitto: ((it didn’t say “Brains….” what kind of campaign is this??))
[12:01:47] (1976) Gitto: : )
[12:02:05] (1998) DM: ((Well, you did burn your escape route. I think the zombies are outta luck))
[12:02:07] (1970) Darrin: ((did everyoen follow Darrin down the corridor?))
[12:02:19] (1970) Darrin: ((HAHA!))
[12:02:19] (1976) Gitto: (im last but I will)
[12:03:01] (1959) Sil: ((Techincally, Sil’s last – he has to lock the door, after all))
[12:03:26] (1970) Darrin: ((Gitto can take lead :-) ))
[12:04:02] (1998) DM: Round the corner, the tunnel turns to stairs – fairly steep ones. It appears that they lead beneath the level of the warehouse floor.
[12:04:54] (1970) Darrin: Darrin quickly moves down them, SKeeping his eyes open for signs of traps
[12:05:10] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Search Check [1d20+3] => [1,3] = (4), Spot [1d20-1] => [3,-1] = (2)
[12:05:19] (1970) Darrin: ((Yeah.. never mind))
[12:05:49] (1998) DM: As they descend, the sounds of wood being beaten, and splintering, come from above.
[12:05:59] (1976) Gitto: “what do you think is up here….”
[12:06:49] (1998) DM: They emerge into what looks like a magical laboratory. Vats bubble, pots boil, and rack after rack of bizarre ingredients take up a good portion of the wall.
[12:07:00] (1970) Darrin: “NOt sure what is down here.. but lets keep moving…”
[12:07:23] (1976) Gitto: “yes I agree”
[12:07:29] (1998) DM: ((Sorry, hold for one tick))
[12:07:48] * (1976) Gitto takes the last position again… *
[12:08:32] (1970) Darrin: {{How many big cauldrons are therE?))
[12:08:38] (1998) DM: Three.
[12:08:49] (1970) Darrin: Darrin enters the room, lookign for a way out…
[12:08:53] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Spot [1d20-1] => [4,-1] = (3)
[12:08:57] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Spot [1d20-1] => [7,-1] = (6)
[12:09:03] (1970) Darrin: ((ouch)
[12:09:20] (1970) Darrin: “Gitto, can you move those cauldrons in the wat of the stairs? they might slow them….”
[12:09:23] (1998) DM: Another passage lies on the opposite end of the room.
[12:09:56] (1998) DM: In the centre of the room is a large table. On it lies a dead… beast. It appears humanlike, but is eight feet tall, and like no man or giant any of the team has seen before.
[12:11:00] (1959) Sil: Sil looks around the room, his eyes focusing upon the vats of liquid. “That liquid looks dangerous…”
[12:11:03] (1976) Gitto: “I’d rather not … if it lights up in flames… we might be trapped in here”
[12:11:22] (1959) Sil: “If we can continue on out, we are trapped anyways.”
[12:11:37] (1959) Sil: "There is no way we could survive turning around at this point.
[12:12:15] (1970) Darrin: Hearign the distant sounds of the wood breaking, “I do not think we are hading back that way… but good reasoning…” he says as he walks past the fgiant dead creature… “What is that thing?”
[12:12:23] (1976) Gitto: “We just have to believe in ourselves”
[12:12:35] (1998) DM: The blows on the door above continue. More and more splintering noises come down. They are making progress.
[12:12:47] (1976) Gitto: “I’ve a few repairing potions… and I’m quite resistant to damage”
[12:12:58] (1998) Urdan: “My guess… something we don’t want to wake up.”
[12:13:10] (1970) Darrin: “Let’s head to the other passage way.. continue moving….”
[12:13:38] (1959) Sil: “Alright… though I wish we had the time to use those vats to trap the undead here.”
[12:14:34] (1959) Sil: Before leaving the room, however, Sil casts a single spell.
[12:14:37] (1959) Sil: (Detect Magic)
[12:14:49] (1959) Sil: ((want to see if there might be any goodies to steal)
[12:15:32] (1998) tic: As soon as he casts the spell, Sil wishes he hadn’t. The necromatic energy hits him like a hammer to the gut. Just about everything in the room radiates it.
[12:16:33] (1959) Sil: ((hmm))
[12:17:01] (1998) tic: The most powerful aura comes from the corpse on the slab.
[12:17:18] (1959) Sil: Sil quickly shakes his head, clearing his mind of the spell. “Nothing here for us. We should leave – and I would not trust that corpse to stay a corpse for long”
[12:17:47] (1970) Darrin: Darrin tries to ope nthe door….
[12:18:01] (1998) tic: ((No door.))
[12:18:22] (1998) tic: ((I just drew the whole room without thinking))
[12:18:27] (1970) Darrin: ((Ohh the line looked liek a door hehe))
[12:19:11] (1998) tic: The passage is dark. The lights from the lab light it for a while, but it quickly becomes pitch black. They stumble along for what seems like far too long. They hear the door finally give way, and the thudding footsteps of zombies behind them.
[12:20:07] (1976) Gitto: “we better move”
[12:20:28] (1998) tic: Finally, they reach the end – by walking into it. The tunnel ends in a stone wall. On the left is a door, a line of faint light from outside.
[12:21:22] (1970) Darrin: Darrin moves to the door with speed, checking dfor traps and listening to the door…
[12:21:32] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Listen Check [1d20+3] => [4,3] = (7), Search Check [1d20+3] => [10,3] = (13), Spot [1d20-1] => [19,-1] = (18)
[12:21:41] (1959) Sil: Sil looks behind the group, trying to see if the zombies were already in the corridor following them.
[12:21:51] (1959) Sil: Skill: Spot [1d20-1] => [2,-1] = (1)
[12:22:03] (1976) Gitto: ((is our invis going to go poof sometime soon as well?))
[12:22:06] (1970) Darrin: ((And can’t see apst hsi glasses))
[12:22:16] (1959) Sil: ((yep))
[12:22:29] (1998) tic: They zombies can’t be seen, but there are footsteps thudding along – how many or how far away they are is impossible to determine.
[12:22:44] (1998) tic: ((And, for all you know, you might not be invisible any more))
[12:23:05] (1959) Sil: ((Ah – no light))
[12:23:38] (1998) tic: ((Only a faint line at the base of the door))
[12:23:52] (1970) Darrin: “Stand back….” Darrin says as he says “Gone”, thinking it’s been about enough time… (3 uses left))
[12:24:01] (1959) Sil: ((By the way, completely off-topic question – what are those little areas in hotel hallways called that have ice machines, drinks, and other such things?:/))
[12:24:02] * (1970) Darrin tries to open the door… *
[12:24:16] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [7,8] = (15)
[12:24:25] (1998) tic: ((Resteurants? Minibars?))
[12:24:44] (1998) DM: Darrin fiddles with the lock, but to no avail.
[12:24:45] (1959) Sil: ((shrug Maybe just Alcoves? It’s for a map I’m labeling right now))
[12:25:05] (1976) Gitto: ((ice machine cubbies))
[12:25:15] (1976) Gitto: ((vending machine area))
[12:25:16] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [4,8] = (12)
[12:25:17] (1970) Darrin: Skills: Open Lock Check [1d20+8] => [16,8] = (24)
[12:25:23] (1970) Darrin: Darrin keeps trying…
[12:25:28] (1998) DM: ((Fail, fail.))
[12:25:37] (1998) DM: The sounds of zombie footsteps draw ever closer.
[12:25:44] (1959) Sil: Sil steps forwards and tries to stick the key in the lock
[12:26:09] (1998) DM: The lock clicks open.
[12:26:44] (1976) Gitto: “in in in” he whispers urgently
[12:27:03] (1959) Sil: Sil pushes the door open while whispering ‘Gone’
[12:27:12] (1970) Darrin: Darrin listens as he keeps moving…
[12:27:14] (1998) DM: “In, in, in” becomes “out, out, out”. Pushing the door open, Sil steps out into the Lower City. Looking about, he sees the skycoach hovering on the storey above them.
[12:27:41] (1959) Sil: ((can the skycoach fit down onto this level?))
[12:28:04] (1970) Darrin: As they all exit the building darrin says," Lock it again.."
[12:28:10] (1998) DM: ((You’re on a balcony. There’s no dock visible, but you could board it.))
[12:28:30] (1998) DM: ((In much the same way you can board a rowboat from a pier a couple feet above it))
[12:28:59] (1959) Sil: Sil smacks Gitto on the side, dispelling his invisibility as he yells out towards the boat captain. “Come down here! We need on, NOW!”
[12:29:29] (1959) Sil: As Gitto and Urdan exit the hallway, Sil locks the door behind them, then pockets the key.
[12:30:20] (1998) DM: For a second, nothing happens, then the captain’s head peers over the edge of the ship, before vanishing again. The ropes tying the boat to the dock are pulled in, and it begins to turn around and descend.
[12:31:00] (1998) DM: The ship is just level with the team when the first blow comes from behind the door.
[12:31:39] (1959) Sil: Sil looks at Urdan and yells “Hurry!” as he pushes the Orc towards the ship first.
[12:31:42] (1970) Darrin: As the ship gets closer darri nwastes no time getting on board, Still invisable…
[12:31:42] (1998) Captain: “Quick getaway, huh?” he says as he helps pull the injured Orc on board.
[12:32:00] (1970) Darrin: “I’m on…” he says
[12:32:12] (1959) Sil: Sil jumps onto the boat after Urdan, then turns and reaches his hand out to help Gitto
[12:32:42] * (1976) Gitto scrambles on *
[12:34:05] (1998) DM: As Sil helps Gitton on board, the door flies open, and zombies spill out like ants. The boat sluggishly pulls away from the tower.
[12:34:25] (1959) Sil: Sil turns and slaps the captain on the back. “Let’s hustle out!”
[12:34:57] (1970) Darrin: To help keep them at bay, Darrin sends a blast after the first of the Zombies to burst out form the door…
[12:35:03] (1976) Gitto: “that was… very fortunate”
[12:35:07] (1970) Darrin: Attacks: Eldritch Blast [1d20+3] => [20,3] = (23), Damage [1d6] => 1 = (1)
[12:35:12] (1959) Sil: Sil looks back at the zombies, a look of triumph on his face – soon, they will be completely out of reach of the undead hordes
[12:35:20] (1998) DM: One zombie leaps for the boat, only to be knocked into the gaping maw of the city by an invisibility-breaking punch from Urdan.
[12:35:31] (1998) DM: And with that, they are away from the tower. Safe.
[12:35:36] * (1970) Darrin smiles as it hits and as they pull away… *
[12:36:20] * (1970) Darrin says “That was… Interseting…”as he turns to Urdan… “Let’s get you home now…” *
[12:36:27] (1976) Gitto: "now all we have to do is survive the trip ‘home’
[12:36:55] (1959) Sil: “Indeed. The Dragon Towers, my good pilot!”
[12:37:04] * (1998) Captain nods, *
[12:37:06] (1970) Darrin: “we should be able to go invisable all the way once we get dropped off…”
[12:37:27] (1998) Urdan: “So. You are the new team, I take it?”
[12:38:21] (1959) Sil: Sil nods as he sits down on the boat’s railing, feigning fatigue. “That we are. Any comments or criticisms on how we broke you out?”
[12:39:17] * (1998) Urdan shakes his head. “You handled yourselves well. Perhaps an escape plan that does not rely on finding keys inside would be nice, I suppose.” *
[12:39:29] * (1976) Gitto laughs a metallic rumble *
[12:39:47] (1970) Darrin: ((haha.. looking abck I can see how we did not do what you thought we woudl do… lol…))
[12:40:48] * (1970) Darrin remains quiet in the back… “An escape plan is helpful.. But knowledge of the place were influltrating would have helped too….” *
[12:40:50] (1959) Sil: ((yeah))
[12:41:12] * (1998) Urdan leans back. “I don’t know how they managed to hide themselves for so long. A unit of Karrnathi undead, in Sharn? The War may not be as dead we’d thought.” *
[12:41:26] * (1998) Urdan seems to be talking more to himself than the others. *
[12:42:05] (1959) Sil: Sil frowns. “That was most troubling – I was expecting criminals, not hordes of the undead. I must admit we are not equipped to handle such a threat.”
[12:42:23] * (1970) Darrin says "Yes, I can see why the powers that be were so concerened on retrieving you back… You knowledge must be extensive… " *
[12:42:35] (1976) Gitto: “yeah that last thing and those vats… that might be a harbinger of undead things to be reckoned with”
[12:43:20] Server Administrator→ Kicking ‘(1953) tic’ from server… Removing dead client
[12:43:21] (1953) tic (exit): 12:43
[12:43:40] * (1998) Urdan waves away the semi-compliment. “Experience, nothing more. In any case, we need to report on what we saw, and work out what to do next.” *

[Sithobi1]

“First, I should heal you…You look rather injured. Is anyone else in need?”
Private Content for:
Vigor for 10 HP, then…
Dice Roll: 2d10
d10 Results: 2, 6 (Total = 8)
of healing from the stick.
Axis reaches out for the orc, then seems to wince in pain as the man’s wounds disappear.

[Langy]

Sil shakes his head. “I am uninjured. We managed to avoid any direct confrontations – I do believe that only Urdan was injured. Luckily, we are heading for the House Jorasco enclave where they are set to heal Urdan, though I am sure he appreciates you alleviating his pain.”

[Troll]

“Yes. I do not believe anyone got injured. I think we will all look forward to getting to the enclave.”

“I am sure the superiors will want to debrief you Urdan, so once we arrive we may part ways. At that time I will wish you well and hope to work with you in the future. And I will want my bow back as well… I am sure you will be able to reprovision yourself adequately.”

[Stychkn]

Darrin rides quietly on the boat as they make their way to their destination. His thoughts wandering to the undead they escaped and the undead creature that was laid out in that room.

[ticattack]

Urdan grunts a little as the healing magic runs through him. “Thankyou.” he says, repeating himself as he hands the bow back to Gitto.


The boat sails through lower city, finally emerging into the middle levels, where light and basic hygiene are not in such short supply. Finally, they arrive at the House Jorasco enclave, the captain flying past the pier out front and docking the boat by a balcony around the back and one floor up. As he helps Urdan out of the boat, four halflings emerge, a stretcher in tow, levitating two feet off the ground. Urdan waves dismissively at the stretcher, and begins limping inside, giving the team a last wave as he goes. The halflings follow, none of them having said a word.

After they have left, the captain turns to the team. “Alright then. Where to now?”

[Troll]

That is an excellent question. he pauses to think things over.

“Probably to relay the particulars of the mission.”

“Either that… or go back and help put that fire out. If it spreads we’d be responsible for a lot of misery. I highly doubt the powers that be would care much about a slummy section of a seedy area goes up in flames as long as they aren’t affected.” a hint of guilt comes through his metallic soundbox.

[Langy]

Sil shrugs. “I see no reason to help with the fire. We are not trained firefighters, we have no water magics, and we would get nothing for helping out in our own little impotent way. We should report our mission’s success and claim our reward.”

[Stychkn]

IT seems Sil and Darrin finally agree, “yes, there is nothing to be gained by going back except blame and possible capture. We should report of Urdan ’s safe return to House Jorasco and of the undead we saw there. I would not be surprised if they knew of it already, but it is too worrisome to not report about.”

[ticattack]

The captain nods. “Alright then.” he spins the wheel, and the ship turns towards Alloran’s.


Wir, 4th Olarune, 998 YK

Tomai is not there when they arrive. They are seated, and the waitress (an fairly plain half-elven lass by the name of Elie) makes a show of taking their order. Fifteen minutes after they arrive, the door opens and Tomai walks in, moving straight to the back room. Elie watches him, then catches the team’s eye, motioning her head towards the back room, telling them to go through.

Tomai is shrugging off his jacket when they enter, draping it over a coat rack that stands in the corner. He turns as they enter, smoothing out a few creases in his clothing. Again, he wastes no time with small talk, not bothering to offer seats or even sit down himself. “So? What happened?”

[Troll]

“Well… mission accomplished. We got Urdan back and sadly we did not even get to fight anyone. There are a lot of undead there… if they did not get consumed in the fire.” he gives up a brief synopsis.

“Did you want those rings back? There are a few charges left on all of them.”

[ticattack]

“Yes.” Tomai says, distractedly. “Leave them on the table. Now, did you just say undead? Doing what? How many?”

[Shtychkn]

Placing his ring on the table Darrin shrugs, “Almost Gone” he thinks as he sets it down. “There was near twenty or more. Enough to raise alarm. Even more troubling was the Karrnath flag in the leaders office and the lab where she did her unnatural experiments. There was a foudl looking beast on the table…”

[Troll]

“Yes. There were two scores of undead or more. We might have not seen all of them. They controlled by their handlers and trying to find us while we were invisible.”

“Plus. As Darrin said. They seemed have made or be trying to make something really horrendous.” he elaborates.

[Langy]

Sil takes off his hat and begins twirling it in his hands as he listens to the team’s answers. “The most troubling thing I noticed was that the undead didn’t act like any undead I’ve heard of – they were carousing about as if they were alive. Very odd indeed. The monster in the lab was also quite disturbing.”

[Sithobi1]

Removing his unused ring from his finger, Axis looks over at the group. “Are there not free-willed undead in many places? After all, I have heard tales of undead Elves governing nations…”

[ticattack]

“Elves don’t run this nation.” Tomai mutters. “Did you get any names? Or see any clue of who’s behind this?”

[Stychkn]

“Well it seems the Karrnath have something to do with it. I am sure the man we rescued has more detailed information.”

[Langy]

Sil shakes his head. “We found no names, only several references to Karrnath. I have a book they hid a key inside taken down from their bookshelves, but other than that we took nothing from the place besides our target.”

[ticattack]

The though of an enemy nation building a small army within Breland’s heart could be expected to elicit some fear or concern. It doesn’t. Tomai actually smirks, and gives a little relieved chuckle. “Karrnath. Of course it’s Karrnath.” His relief fades into a sigh. “Very well. I’ll tell those that need to be told.” He turns to Sil. “If I could have that book and key, we may be able to divine something from them.”

“Again, you’ve done better than I had expected. You’ve earned this.” he says, reaching from his jacket and producing five pouches, jingling with coins.

(500 gp each)

[Troll]

“We are just glad we succeeded. Though I still would have liked to have taken the heads off a few of our foes.” Gitto takes his sack of coins.

“Coins.. I wonder what I should save up for.” he thinks.

View
Assignment 1: Briefings and Introductions

[Note]
What follows is a transfer of what happened on a forum. Each post is preceded by its poster’s name, enclosed in [brackets].

[ticattack]
The back room of Alloran’s is almost empty, just a table, a few chairs and some crates. Sharn’s newest team is gathered here, being briefed on their first mission by their immediate superior, Tomai ir’Fallin.

Tomai is a half-elf, somewhere around his middle years – he has that ageless face that many half-elves share. He wears simple clothing, the kind you could walk through almost any district of Sharn in and blend in with everyone else. He doesn’t appear to be armed but, in a city full of spies and magic, that doesn’t mean much.

Seated around the table beside him is the new team. None have met, or even been introduced, yet they are about to be thrust onto assignment – evidently, the Twelve believes that bonds forged in fire are stronger.

[OOC Alrighty. Let’s get this show on the road! Introductory posts, please.]

[Stychkn]

Darrin (Lastname) sits quietly in his seat. His short black hair hand over his eyes a little as it covers part of his pale face. Darrin is wearing his thin leather tunic, and is showing no sign of carrying any weapons. He leans back in his chair a little, giving the appearance of being careless. But Darrin is not that incompetent. He knows that the other’s here will all be from different houses, and many would likely slit his throat if it meant that they could better their positions.

[Sithobi1]

A jet black warforged with long, flowing, black robes tied with a belt inside which are several thin, long sticks of varying lengths, from 8 inches up to 18, tipped with shards of crystal, as well as a rather large, bulging pouch. At the ’forged’s side it carries a crossbow and a pair of daggers; its left arm seems to have been extended into the shape of a shield, though its hand is not restricted. It sits perfectly still, so still it might be confused for a statue if the light of intelligence and knowledge did not shine so clearly from its crystalline eyes.

[Langy]

A tall, silver-metallic
Warforged leans against a crate, a mug of ale in his hand. His bright, blue eyes stare out from behind the golden frames of gnomish spectacles, his wide-brimmed hat tilted upon his head. His upper body is almost fully covered in obvious Mithril plating, while he wears simple leather pants on his legs. A number of bags and pockets line his belt, and a sling over one shoulder holds up a larger backpack. He has no obvious weapons, nor does he carry himself like a fighter. On the crate beside him lies a threaded book of paper, upon which he has obviously been drawing – at the moment, however, it’s unclear what it is of. His free hand idly draws upon it, his feather pen dipping into the ink next to the book every minute or so.

[Troll]

Gitto looks to be the typical warforged built for their original purpose… war.

He carries a large well crafted sword in addition to his normal physical adaptations… an overly large jaw that looks like it could shear someones arm off and his mechanical fist that looks like it could do some damage to whatever it slammed into. His armor plating is adamantine and well designed to cover the more vulnerable parts of his metallic frame.

“Greetings… I believe we were assembled here for a purpose? Well not literally assembled. What would be simpler and more accurate?”

He doesn’t wait too long for the answer… instead he switches topics abruptly. “Gitto. Gitto is my name… my weapons are at your disposal.”

Like his armaments… Gitto is a bit rough around the edges.

[Troll]

Gitto looks around. He wonders what he said that put everyone into a silence. He decides to reformulate his sentence.

“Our foes will feel the bite of my weapons. Not you.”

[Stychkn]

Darrin sits there as the whole of the group is silent except for the warforged Gitto. “I’m sure they will” Darrin says in a almost condesending tone, “For what purpose were we all brought together?” he says turning his attention to Tomai.

[ticattack]

The half-elf leans back in his chair as talk returns to business. “You were brought together, as you have been told, to serve the Twelve. You will be given assignments to complete, and you will complete them, preferably in a discreet manner whenever possible.”

“I will trust that you have all familiarised yourself with our expectations of you, and will give you your first assignment. It’s a simple task, really, so I do not expect failure.”

He hands each agent a sheet of parchment with a sketch of what looks like some sort of ornament, a beetle marked as roughly two feet long, made of iron, and with a glass vial where the insect’s abdomen should be. “This object is an artefact from Xen’drik. It has somehow worked its way into the hands of a low-level criminal in the Cogs, a hobgoblin by the name of ‘Art’. We do not believe he knows the value of what he has, and has agreed to sell it to us for one hundred gold.”

“Your assignment is simple. Go to the cogs, retrieve the artefact, and give it to an agent who will be waiting in the empty store beside ir’Raley and Sons, the barrister’s office two floors up. He will be identified by a brooch, a twelve-sided star, on his left side. Upon receipt of the artefact, he will give each of you one hundred gold.”

“This is your mission. It is simple, but it is quite likely that agents of other groups, even your own Houses, will attempt to steal the artefact. Do not let them. Use lethal force if necessary, but do not implicate the Twelve, or the Houses. Cover up after yourself where the environment will not.”

“Are there any questions?”

[Stychkn]

“Sounds simple enough” Darrin says, “A bit too simple. What can you tell use about the artifact. What does it do? and this agent we are suppose to meet, with only a simple description, it seems easy that we could deliver this artifact into the hands of an imposter”

[Plugsy]

“Wouldn’t be too difficult to steal or copy a twelve sided star. So, like my new asssociate here says, it’s all to easy to get the wrong person. Anyone with the right star which has been stolen or the wrong star whcih has been faked could easily dupe us”, Séid says to his fellow half-elf.

[Troll]

“Other than those questions answered. This sounds straightforward. I have no questions.” he says… short and sweet.

[Langy]

The gleaming silver ‘forged looks up from his drawing and nods at the questions of the two flesh-and-blood creatures that were escorting the three Warforged of the newly-formed squad. "Perhaps it would be best for a code-phrase to be issued. For example, one of us would tell this dodecastarred man ’the night is cold in Breland’ and the reply might be ‘not at all like Xen’drik.’ This would establish his bonifides and allow us to proceed with our transaction without undue concern. Of course, if our true contact is tortured or has his mind invaded, who we meet might know the code phrases anyway. We must be ever vigilant." The Warforged appears to have switched from drawing to writing something down on a seperate sheet – they appear to be short, simple statements judging by the amount of time he spends writing one before moving on to the next line.

[Troll]

“I am pretty sure the next agent he meets will be us… as long as the first part of our mission goes off as planned.”

“Let us not worry about what might happen. I say let us get to work on securing the star first. Once we have it in our possession, then it will be time to worry about handing it over.” Gitto remarks.

He jerkily turns his head to gaze at those around him. Perhaps it is to judge your confidence in this manner. Perhaps it is to bolster his statement. Perhaps it is just to evenly spread lubricant along his neck joints… the Warforged is hard to read.

[ticattack]

Tomai smiles, as though enjoying some private joke. “As you wish. The query will be ‘Would you know where an inquisitive could be hired?’. His answer will be ‘Three floors up and two towers across.’”

The artefact does nothing. It is of entirely decorative value. Still, regardless of what kind of value, it has value, and it has value to my superiors. Regretfully, I cannot give you more than that. It must suffice to say that you need to retrieve it, and will do so."

[Troll]

Gitto pauses after this information is given. He seems nonplussed at being totally wrong. Perhaps it isn’t an unusual circumstance.

He repeats the query and password so that he will remember it. “‘Would you know where an inquisitive could be hired?’.”

“Answer. ‘Three floors up and two towers across.’”

[Stychkn]

Darrin nods respectfully to Tomai, “Of course, we do as we are told and more be said then to tell us what to do”. It is obvious that Darrin is used to a life of service to others. “IF everyone is ready, we can set out on our task”

[Troll]

“I am ready.” Gitto responds to Darrin’s question.

Gitto is ready. His minimal gear is tightly appointed. His blade is in its sheath. His javelins are tucked away in a large quarrel holder on his back. His backpack also is stowed and snugly fitted as well.

[Langy]

Sil looks over at the others for a moment before finally putting away his book, pen, and the ink, all placed snugly into pouches apparently specifically for them in his belt, the book’s obviously much larger than the others. Reaching into his backpack, he pulls out a rapier, sitting solidly in its holster, which he ties onto his belt next to the pouch containing his book. Slipping the straps back over his shoulders, the sturdy-looking Warforged nods his readiness.

[Plugsy]

Séid stands, as he motions towards the exit he says,
“I’m ready, shall we”, and waits for someone to take the lead.

[Troll]

Gitto will lead the group to the Cogs in search of a hobgoblin by the name of ‘Art’…

[Stychkn]

Darrin follows behind Gitto. While he does not like taking a position within the group that looks like a subordinate, Darrin knows that you can often get more done by not being in the spotlight.

[Langy]

Sil moves forwards to walk level with his large, quiet Warforged brother. Pushing his spectacles back into their straps, Sil looks around as the group walks, making a point to nod at every man they pass and tip his hat at all of the women. He moves fluidly and begins asking about his new squad mates, trying to find out their strengths and weaknesses and their
backgrounds…

[Plugsy]

Seid follows along with Sil, and begins introducing himself.
“Well my ‘forge-edd freind, I’d say the most interesting thing I’m good at from your point of view is patching you up when you need it. Speaking more in terms of use to the whole group then I’m pretty handy with a crossbow.”

Switching subject Seid, now addressing the whole group says,
“I’ll apologise for myself now, call it a little leftover from the last war if you will. I’m a little highly strung and sometimes I can be a bit sharp without meaning to be”
Seid stops and clears his throat as he considers whether this is too much of an understatemet, deciding it’ll do he continues
“I’m pretty good with…………..”, but trails off as someone else starts to speak.

[Stychkn]

Walking with Sil, Darrin gives his name and house that he is with, but not much more then that. “I can handle myself in and out of battle” is about all he says of
useful information.

[Troll]

Gitto isn’t shy. “I enjoy conversation about all sorts of things. It is one of the easiest ways to discover new things and what people care about.”

“I have been to the Mournland once. It was arranged for me to see an artificer there. That was very strange. Almost everyone there was like me. I have never been ‘the normal one’ in a group before. Of course, that actually might be true here. But usually it is not.”

“Sometimes I look at the birds and I see how things are in nature. Have you ever noticed that before. ‘Birds of a feather flock together’ they say and it is true. Given the option, birds only hang around with others like them. In fact, they are cruel and very territorial to each other. And you never see them work together. I think a lot of people are like that… really. The only time I have seen birds all mixed up and not fighting each other is along the water. Maybe the water is relaxing and calms them down. Maybe it is because they all have to share the water so they tolerate each other. Maybe it is because they realize they are all water birds and have something in common with each other. I am not sure. But at least they all get along.”

[Langy]

Sil looked to the others and slapped Gitto’s shoulder in comraderie. “Oh, I definitely agree – conversation is an important tool in the arsenal of any serious adventurer. I’m, personally, a purveyor of influence – with the right words or magic, any man can be influenced to do whatever you wish. On the battlefield, my strength is with deception and surprise – if I can hit someone with a spell they do not see coming, they are much more likely to fall victim to its power. I’m also an artist, you may have heard of me – I’ve been selling my collected writings, small wood sculptures I make on my travels, and other bits and pieces of art I create when the mood strikes me. In some circles, I am making quite the name for myself.” The Warforged puffs out his chest and tilts his head up, as if posing for a statue to be made in his honor.

[ticattack, having rewritten the first log]

((It’s not completely rewritten, I’ll get to the rest later. Feel free to continue chattering about your carpet.))

Leaving Alloran’s, the team hails the nearest skycoach – individuals who make their living ferrying people around Sharn’s towers on flying carpets, flying beasts and all manner of other transports. Their request for the Cogs is met with a grimace, but the man begins bringing his carpet down. Curious as to the man’s reaction, Gitto questions him. “What is wrong with the Cogs anyway?”. The captain shrugs. “Obviously, you’ve never been there. Goblins, orcs, ‘n’ worse, all ready to gut you for your gold.” Sil agrees. “The stench, the dirt, the general disarray of the entire level. ’tis not the best place to go carousing. Not to mention the cutthroats, thieves, and brigands that the watch has decided deserve the area as their own.”

Gitto ponders this for a moment. “Huh… We are going to stick out a bit are we not?” The captain shrugs again. “Enough people around. Warforged, too.” He seems to realise what he just implied, and straightens up a bit. “Not that, y’know…” He trails off weakly. Darrin gives a little chuckle at the man’s words and discomfort, but Gitto looks at him. “Know what?.. I do not know.” The captain, clearly uncomfortable, coughs nervously. “There’s enough people down that there that you won’t be the only ones down there. Still, if you’re not there for anything important, I’d suggest you go back.” Darrin shakes his head. “We have need. Just get us down there.” The man is irritated at the questioning. Others might see it at small talk and being helpful. But Darrin knows all to well how Small Talk can be used to gather important information.

The trip isn’t that long – traffic is easy to avoid when you can fly over or under it – and soon, the team is tossing the man his six copper and letting him get on his way. The Cogs is a district located in the lowest depths of Sharn, at least if you don’t count the UnderSharn. The bases of towers rise like mammoth stone trees, blocking out most of the sun, and the air is thick with soot and sweat. Here is where most goblinoids and members of the ‘monstrous’ races dwell in Sharn, living in ghettos and slums. It is also home to the impoverished veterans of the Last War who had nowhere else to go – all in all, it is not a pleasant area. Arriving in the Cogs, Darrin has not taken more than a few steps. The stench hits his nose. “Lets make this fast.” he says as they make their way to the meeting place.

The team makes their way through the filth and dimly lit streets. The ferryman was right, they’re far from the only non-goblins about, but they are in the definite minority. As they walk, the pass dozens of goblinoids of various types, and even a pair of minotaurs, their hulking frames towering over all of them. Sil walks over to the minotaurs, looking closely at their physiques through his spectacles. “Quite interesting variety of specimens here. The factories must be quite interested in utilizing your most massive of muscles, my minotaur friends!” The minotaur glares at Sil, snorting in what seems like derision, but says nothing. Darrin can barely believe what his teammate is doing. “Ahem” he says looking in Sil direction. “We do have business we need to attend to.” Sil looks back over to Darrin and his shoulders slump forwards. “Very well. I’ll leave the beasts of burden alone while we carry out our mighty quest.”

Art’s shop is announced by a stained sign that proclaims ’Art’s Antiques and Pawn Shop’. It’s not an unfair assumption that few of the things for sale were pawned by their original owners. As the team enters, a little bell tinkles, and a hobgoblin who is likely to be Art himself scurries over to meet them. Darrin greets him with “Art I presume.” The hobgoblin nods. “Friends! Welcome, welcome to Art’s Antiques and Pawn Shop. Yes, I am Art, and it is a pleasure to serve you.” Sil steps forwards to meet the goblin, pushing in front of Darrin even as he speaks. Holding out a hand towards the hob, Sil greets the man-thing. “And it is a pleasure to be served!” Darrin resists the urge to give Sil a dirty look. No, he knows it is important to keep calm and provide a united front while in the presence of Art.

The hobgoblin smiles, his teeth seem to have been artificially whitened, their colour contrasting with the dust and grime in the shop. “Wonderful! What can I interest you in today? Are you buying? Selling? Both?” Sil answers. “We’re looking for artefacts from Xen’drik – I am the collector for a small establishment in Wroann’s Gate which is trying to revamp its theme to embrace our southern continent’s mystique and mystery.” Darrin stands behind Sil, letting him do the talking for now.

Art shifts his weight from one foot the other, then back again. “I see, I see… Well, friends, I have wonderful, but terrible news for you. I did receive such an item, very rare, just recently. Sadly… it was promised to another party. However…” he shifts his weight again. “Perhaps I could… misplace it?” Gitto answers, cutting the deception short. “Who was promised this item? Certainly that must be us.” Darrin nods in agreement. Art freezes, staring at Gitto with the expression of a child caught with his hand in the cookie jar. “… Oh? You are…?” Darrin moves alongside Sil, “We are here for the beetle… You have it for us, no?” Art ‘s lip twitches a little, but recovers. “Of course, of course. Friends, you understand I would not renege on our agreement, of course. We will leave to reclaim the beetle at once.” Darrin raises an eyebrow, “It is not here?”[/b] The hobgoblin shakes his head. “No. It is in a safe place, not far from here, hidden from would-be thieves.” He opens his shop’s door and gestures through it. “After you.”

Darrin continues to give a odd look, “You would put this much protection for a simple Iron Beetle valued at under one hundred gold?” The hobgoblin replies in an incredulous tone. “One hundred gold? Yes. Many would kill their own mothers for half that. Now, I, of course, have scruples. But down here… many do not. It is sad, but true.” Darrin nods, “Very well… Lead the way” he says. Sil nods. “Oh, most definitely. If I were to tell you the number of times someone asked me to do just that, assuming just because I’m a Warforged I’m a barbarian, it would take hours upon hours, days upon days. Quite sad, really.” Gitto interrupts. “Yes… let’s get on with business.”

Art nods, and follows the team out the door, locking it behind him. “Of course. I should warn you, though, that there may be… trouble. Others sought this item, many were very eager to get it. Now, I have agreed to sell it to you, but I suppose some might not take the decision too well.” Sil nods. Axis speaks up. “What are you trying to imply, Art? Has the price…increased?” The hobgoblin seems aghast. “No, nononono. Of course not. I would not be so dishonest as to change the price this far through negotiations. Nonono, I am simply warning that there maybe… impediments to our business, that you would have to overcome.”
Darrin responds. “Do not worry about our safety. Just worry about you giving us the beetle.” Sil smiles at their guide. “Well, not give of course – we’ll pay, obviously.”


The hobgoblin leads the team through the streets, their path twisting and turning for at least ten minutes. Finally, they arrive at the base of a small tower, the top just within view from the ground. Art leads the team into the tower, into a is a dingy tavern. Inside the place is a flight of stairs which lead up to the next level, where another flight of stairs leads up, and so on, until they are on the eighth floor. Here, the hobgoblin stops. “I am afraid I will have to ask to see the gold before we continue. Not that I wish to imply you are dishonest, but… well, as I said, it is a dishonest place, these Cogs.” Darrin nods as he pulls a pouch from his belt… “It is here” he says as he opens the pouch to shows several platinum pieces inside. “Your hundred gold’s worth” he says. The goblinoid reaches out and takes a single coin. Darrin pulls the sack closed. “You’ll get the rest after we have the beetle.” The hobgoblin studies the coin carefully, turning it over before smiling. “Wonderful, wonderful. This way.” Here, he pushes open a door, leading them into a hallway with eight more doors. He opens one of those with a chunky iron key, revealing a small room, more like a wardrobe or cupboard. Inside, is the beetle.
“Now,” he says, “I could carry it, but perhaps you would wish you carry it yourselves? I hear that the warforged cannot tire through labour.” Sil speaks. “Gitto, you are our most stalwart companion. If you would?”[/b] Sil motions towards the beetle. The other warforged consents. “For now, I guess.”

As he retrieves the beetle, Axis reaches inside his cloak, drawing out a glittering crystalline razor wheel. Art’s eyes widen as he sees the blade. “Friends, friends, surely there is no need for violence?” Sil looks over towards Axis, frowning. “Put away your blade.” Darrin brushes Sil’s comments aside. “He is just ensuring our safe passage out of the Cogs.” “Making Art more uncomfortable is not worth it.” Sil argues. “We can easily draw our weapons if we are under attack, but if we upset a valuable merchant we may never shop here again.” Axis interrupts the bickering. “This is for our own protection, Art. You would not deny us that… would you?” “No, no,” the hobgoblin says “of course not. In fact,” here he takes the pouch of coins from Darrin, tucking it under his arm. “It would be greatly appreciated if you would escort me back to my shop. As I said, dishonest thieves abound here, and I am now a tempting target.” here he taps the pouch, which clinks softly. “Certainly you are safe to walk the Cog’s alone, you do work down here, no?” Darrin scoffs. “Now that we have the beetle, is best we not parade it around” “No one is safe down here.” Art replies. “We are going back that way anyway are we not?” Gitto asks. “So it does not really matter. Let us walk.” “We will walk with you for as long as it is on our way back to the ferryman.” Darrin relents. Sil nods. “We will escort you back. Stay in the center where we can protect you the best – Axis, would you be our rear guard?” Darrin looks at Sil, leaning over to him, “Our mission is this beetle, not this shop keeper.” he whispers. “We should keep him available for future use – he may be an asset in the future.” Sil murmurs back. “Do not burn your bridges.” “And do not hang yourself to save a bridge over a creek.” Darrin quips back. “But I will follow your lead, this time.” Art nods. “Thankyou, friends. Let us be gone.”


Art moves to the middle of the team, offering directions when necessary. As they round the bend between two towers, a crossbow bolt whistles through the air, coming from above, hitting Gitto in the arm.

Reacting on instinct, Sil yells towards Art as he looks for where the bolt came from. “Get down!” The hobgoblin follows the advice, ducing down and pushing himself away from the direction the bolt came from.

“We are under attack.” Gitto says, apparently unaware that he’s stating the blatantly obvious. As the team looks about, trying to spot their assailant, Darrin catches a glimpse of a man on a balcony two floors up. He’s kneeling down, reloading a crossbow.

“Come on, Gitto says “Let us find some cover.” As they move beneath the balcony, Gitto puts the beetle down and takes out his bow, nocking an arrow and trying to get a shot at his target. “You have the beetle.” Darrin hisses at the warforged. "Let’s all get under the balcony. Sil looks up to see if he can get a look at the bad guy, and catches a glimpse of something. Focusing, he begins a quiet incantation before throwing his hand out towards the movement. There is a thud from above as something slumps to the balcony.

There is a pause as the team waits to see if any more threats reveal themself. "Alright, Darrin says. “Let’s keep moving.” He begins walking, but Axis stops him. “You don’t think we should find out who that was?” “Of course we should.” Sil agrees “You mean go up in this tower?” Gitto asks. “I’d assume that’s how we’d do it, yes.” Sil replies. “Unless you’d rather climb the wall?” “Sounds like too much work and a lot of risk” Gitto replies as he lifts the beetle again. “I would rather get out of here.” Darrin’s irritation at Sil’s constant sidetreks, away from the mission, is growing. “We need to keep moving. We could have been at the meeting point already.” "Don’t be a coward Sil says. “We need to find out who tried to attack us. It may be important.” Darrin glares at Sil. “Seems this fool does not know the price of failure.” he thinks to himself. “It is not a matter of cowardice. The important things is returning with the beetle, not this merchant or that man” he says pointing to the balcony." Art pushes himself to his feet, moving back to the middle of the group. “Does it matter? They are defeated. We should keep moving.” “Most of us say no,” Gitto tells Sil. “If you go, you go alone.” “Fine.” Sil relents. “The spell will be running out soon – we should leave. Though I don’t know why you’re in such a hurry – it’s hardly like we’re on a time limit.” “Because,” Darrin replies, his patience wearing away “I do not like having this object with us. If it is lost, the failure is ours. I can tell that where you are from, failure is tolerated. For me it never has been.” It is Gitto who breaks the argument. “There could be more of them.” “There probably are.” Darrin agrees. “So we need to keep moving, get to the meeting point soon.” [b]“We should probably try and lose any people following us before we go to the meeting.” Sil comments. “I agree.” Darrin says. “But best to leave this area. Go someplace less violent, more secure.” “A good idea.” Sil agrees.

They begin making their way back toward’s Art’s shop. “Does anyone want a crossbow bolt?” Gitto asks as he pulls the mangled projectile from his body. “It’s in mostly decent condition.” “I could use it in a sculpture!” Sil exclaims. “A Bolt from Heaven makes a good title, don’t you think?” “Perhaps.” Gitto says noncommittally. Darrin shakes his head at his teammates. “I say we head to the nearest skycoach.” he says looking towards Art, "You are free to join us in leaving this area if you feel your safety warrants it. “Hmm.” the hobgoblin muses. “A tempting offer, but I will return to my store, for now.” Gitto gives the hobgoblin a small nod of farewell. “Travel well.” “May you be safe.” Darrin says. “And you as well, friends.” the merchant says, giving them a half-bow. “Please, return when next you need my wares.”

Once the hobgoblin is out of earshot, Darrin raises a suspicion. “I wonder if he has something to do with that bolt…” Sil responds, the previous bickering threatens to flare up again. “And we shall never know, because you declined to investigate when it was prudent.” “Doesn’t matter now.” Gitto says, shutting the argument down again.

It is not long before they find themselves in an open-air marketplace, where two skycoaches – a large flying carpet and what appears to be a floating rowboat with room for passengers – await, their captains sitting patiently. “The rowboat?” Gitto suggests “Just in case we crash in the water?” “Either will work.” Darrin says. "The rowboat is fine. They approach the rowboat, currently hovering a foot and a half off the ground. The captain helps the team aboard, raising a brow at the incredibly ugly ornament they carry. He gets their destination, then lifts off, the boat moving at a pace roughly as fast as a walking human.

They’ve been flying not a few minutes when Sil notices something, his gaze alerting the others. A black-clothed man is climbing up the tower, moving as though he were crawling over flat ground, easily keeping up with the boat. He keeps up with their ascent, about fifty feet away, and continually glances at the rowboat, obviously following the team. “Seems our followers have shown themselves.” Darrin says. “Should I remove him?” “You may” Sil nods. “If you somehow fail, I will attend to him as well.” Darrin nods to Sil as his hands start to glow with the flickers of black and dark purple. suddenly, he thrusts his hand towards the man climbing alongside them, launching the ball of energy at him. It sails through the air, hitting him in the leg. The man cries out, but remains on the wall. Apparently, he is using magic to climb, because he returns fire, swinging out, holding onto the tower wall with one hand as he thrusts the other out, unleashing a blast of silvery white fire from his palm. The fireball sails over the rowboat, a good foot over the pilot’s head. He swears, and begins swinging the oars about, turning to flee.

Axis is staring intently at the man on the wall, his left hand stroking his chin, but nothing appears to happen – either his magic is very subtle, or it failed. Gitto’s bow is nocked and aimed, sending an arrow throw the air, only to have the wind snatch it, snapping it in half against the tower wall. Seeing his companions fail, Sil begins reciting the same incantations he used earlier, throwing his hand out towards their would-be assassin. The man pauses for a minute as the spell hits him, but he remains conscious – and climbing. “I think I know what they mean now” Gitto muses “About the Cogs.”

The rowboat’s captain has turned his vessel around, and is rowing furiously to get away from the firefight. Their assailant is not so easily thwarted, though, kicking off from the tower and sailing a good twenty feet onto another skycoach, a flying carpet. In the same fluid motion as landing, he kicks the surprised captain in the chest, sending him flying off his own coach, plummeting screaming to the ground forty stories below.

Darrin’s frustration is building. He is irritated that his shot missed, no one else does much better and now the driver is pulling away, Darrin gets even more frustrated. His frustration starts to show in his magical aura around his hands. The aura is now flickering violently versus the calm glow it had before As the man jumps to a flying carpet, Darrin lets another blast go, crackling through the air and hitting its target square in the chest, sending him flying off the carpet. He makes a noise as the blow hits, but seems to be unconscious as he falls, dangling limp as gravity pulls him towards a messy demise.

The carpet hovers in midair, standing completely stationary without direction. Sil looks to the carpet, then to the rowboat captain. “Captain, please bring us closer to the carpet, if you could?” The captain’s mouth opens and closes a few times, then apparently decides against arguing with the armed men, and sides up alongside the carpet. Sil reaches over for the carpet and grabs it, rolling it up and placing it on the floor of the boat. “We will attempt to find who now owns this carpet once we land – it is a danger just laying out in the open, I believe.” Darrin turns to the captain. “Do not worry, we are not bandits and you are not in danger from us. That man had followed us, and we believe him to be part of an attack on us earlier. but you are safe.” The captain just nods, not making eye contact. “Ok then. To Dava Gate, then?” Sil nods. “That would be our destination, yes.” The captain nods, and moves the boat again.


The barrister’s office that marks where they’re supposed to meet their contact is easy enough to find. Standing inside the empty shop next door, as promised, is a man with a brooch of a twelve-sided star. Darrin approaches the man. “Would you know where an inquisitive could be hired?” The man nods. “Three floors up and two towers across.” With this he looks to the beetle, crouching down to examine it. Apparently satisfied that it is not a replica or fake, he stands up and produces five small sacks, handing them to each team member with the gentle clink of coins. "Your payment, he says. “Nine platinum pieces and ten gold each.” Darrin gives a sigh of relief. “Here is your beetle.” Sil smiles as he takes his payment “Excellent.” he says “We wish you well.” He then heads for the door. The man holds up a hand. “Wait.” he calls out. Darrin gives the man a glance. “Yes?” he asks. The man motions towards the beetle. “You can take this as well. Your superiors thank you for your service.”

There is a moment of silence as the words sink in. Sil is the first to break it. “This is… unexpected.” he says quietly. “Very…” Darrins agrees. Axis shrugs and tries to heft the beetle, but Gitto wants answers. “What would we do with it? And was this whole thing just a big test?” Their contact shrugs. “Your mission was one of distraction. We suspected that there would be attempts to steal the artifact, so a fake was given to a low-level criminal. While you drew attention, the real artifact was moved by another team.” There is another moment of silence before Gitto speaks. “Oh.” Darrin chuckles. This type of behavior is somethign that he is used to. Sil laughs out loud. “That sounds like our superiors.” The other agent speaks again. “Now, that being said, though it would not have been a major blow if it had been stolen, you kept it. This will be noted.”

Axis is less than impressed. “So…this thing is an entirely useless block of iron. Wonderful. Let’s sell it. I’m guessing it’s about 30 pounds, so…maybe 3 gold. That’ll pay our room and board for a while.” Darrin apparently agrees with the sentiment. “All we need to do is find where we can sell a copy of the artifact.” "I wonder how much this replica is actually worth? Sil muses. “Or how it would look on my wall!” Business being done, their contact breaks his professional demeanour with a smile. “I’ll wish you a good day. I hope you get a good price for that thing.” he gives it another look. “I’d suggest finding a blind man.” Sil laughs. “Probably a good choice. Of course, I could just put it up with my other work when I have my next gallery showing.” The man gives another smile and heads out the door.

After he is gone, Darrin turns to Sil. “Best we work on our in mission behaviour. We cannot aford to bicker while on a mission. Failure is not an option.”

Luckily, failure did not happen here. The team’s first mission was a success.

[Langy]

Sil nods, but crosses his chest with his arms in an accusing manner as he faces Darrin. “Bickering is detrimental – but so is passing up opportunities for excellence. What if the ambush against us was more about us being Agents of the Twelve and had nothing to do with the beetle except marking us as targets? By interrogating the assassin, we could have learned why they were attacking us and who his accomplices were – in this case we would have been able to find out about the second assassin and thus been better prepared. We were lucky that ignoring such avenues did not detrimentally impact our mission. Moving too fast is much more dangerous than moving too slow, in my experience, Darrin – we should be more cautious in the future, and your seeming wish for utter expedience over the minute matter of our security could have resulted in disaster for our mission.”

[Stychkn]

Darrin
listens in silence, as he gives Sil the respect to make is argument. “You make valid points” he says, “But I must disagree on some. By not focusing on our mission, and escorting the hobgoblin, we gave the would be assassins more time to stage their attacks. Had we left right away, all of the fighting could have been avoided. Our mission was put in jeopardy while we attended to things such as providing a body guard to a merchant. There are times when you want to interrogate, and times when you want to finish the mission. This mission was akin to a relay race, and was in our best interest to pass off our baton as fast as possible. Other missions will require a slow, more cautious pace and of course, interrogation of would be assassins. You need to evaluate the goals of your mission, and take the correct actions to meet those goal with the highest probability of success.”

[Langy]

“I agree with your argument, but not your estimation on what constitutes increasing our probability of success. Escorting the merchant wasn’t a particularly oderous task – it was already
on our way out. And this was not anything like a relay race – we needed to make sure we weren’t being followed, which we were, but you ignored that possibility in favor of rushing to our destination. What if we had gotten to our contact, delivered the package, and then said contact was himself targetted or, even worse, determined to be an agent of the twelve? You need to be more alert for the dangers of espionage work – it is obvious you and some unnamed others here are novices at it else you’d be less inclined to call any mission a ‘race’.”

[Stychkn]

Darrin scoffs at the concept that he is a novice, thinking about the life he lived before he came here. “Thing may be done.. differently where I am from.” he says. "Our responsibility was to deliver the beetle, After that was not our mission, or responsibility. The safety of the beetle was now in the hands of the man to whom it was our mission to give it to. Every moment that we carried the beetle around we increased the chance of attack from would be assassins or from the petty thieves that live down there. " Pausing to give a arrogant glare to Sil, Darrin says “Maybe it is your own lack of experience that does not allow you to see a race when it is in front of you”

Smirking for a bit, Darrin shakes his head as he takes a deep breath. “Either way, we have to find a balance. A way to work together. It seems we are both strong willed individuals that are set in our ways. It seems that we might not be able to agree even on the color of the sky, but we must learn to get along, else our missions will fail.” he says as he takes the time to suck up his irritation with Sil and focus on how the team needs to work well together to ensure that it does not fail. “shall I suggest that we all” he says as he looks around at everyone, “take turns being the lead on missions.”

[Sithobi1]

“That is a ridiculous notion, one that will cause more conflict as people second-guess each other’s decisions, and policies are put into place one after another, ones which conflict and cause ever greater splits in our little…team. We should simply decide upon one leader and follow that one person unless all others are unanimous in support of a single other person. The decision of the first leader should be done by…consensus.

Regardless, as I’m sure we all want to know exactly what this rug can do, I will take it to someone who has the ability to…ascertain the truth. However, this will require a small sum of gold and a great deal of time; it very much dislikes being found, and tracking it to its latest hiding spot will be difficult, to say the least. Needless to say, I must go alone, though I will require five gold pieces from each of you…or from the group’s fund, if we can at least agree on that."

[Stychkn]

“I agree a single leader is best, but might cause dissent in some if forced to always follow a plan of action they do not agree with. But sacrifices are already being made. Seems we need the others input on if they would rather have a single leader, or alternate. As for the group fund, the Twelve already place 10% into a fund for us” Darrin says. “Are you suggesting that we add more to this fund?”

[Sithobi1]

“Yes, I am suggesting exactly that. We currently have fifty gold, not enough even to hire a wizard to find out what this carpet can do, much less purchase any potions or other services we decide we might desire.”

[Stychkn]

“well, I am not a fan of handing my money back to the Twelve, where we must ask permission to spend it” Darrin says, "So this fund is best kept between us so we can do with it as we see fit. But who would hold it? I’m am sure you trust me no more then I you. So it seems that puts us in a situation. However, I do agree, that it is best we keep a portion of our gold aside to aid in our missions. "

[Troll]

Gitto has been quiet until now. After hearing them discuss this issue and that… he decides he might as well add his opinions.

“Interrogating the assassin was a high risk with most likely no reward. Without suitable magic… breaking him would have taken a long time it he would have broken at all. And you are assuming that you would have asked the right questions. And you are assuming that he could not have lied to you and you would have known the difference. And while that all would have occured… what would have kept his allies from gathering reinforcements. What would have kept an completely unrelated gang of thugs from Cog from trying to take advantage of us. Your reasoning relied on a lot of optimism.” he says in a tone that doesn’t offer much room for anything to change his mind.

Moving on to the next topic “The rug flies. What is so difficult to understand about that.”

“I would suggest we figure out who has leadership qualities before we select a leader. Having a rotating leader sounds foolish. If we find someone who is a good leader… why would we take them out of that role to be filled by someone less apt? A good leader will lean on those who have expertise they themselves do not. So rotating should not be necessary if the right person is in charge.”

and finally “Whatever funds are pooled, if any, could be held safely by me. I have little need for money for entertainment, food or even upkeep. It would be highly unlikely to go ‘missing’ unless it is taken from my by stealth or force.”

[Stychkn]

Darrin listens to Gitto as he speaks, “You are correct, a good leader need not perform the best, but be able to know who will in what situations. I’ve already said that one leader is the idea choice. If put in the position to choose, I think I’d choose you Gitto. You may not be the most likely of choices, but you’ve proven to be more wise then some” he says with a glance at Sil, “And we all seem to respond the few time you choose to talk.”

[Troll]

“Well I never considered myself for the position. I would have to think about it.”

“Let us see what others say.” he says… looking to the others to express their opinion.

[Plugsy]

Seid has been quiet both throughout the mission and during the discussion of tactics. His training during the war has taught him one thing, and he finds it odd the ’forged see things differently.

He first thinks to skip the issue and move straight to that of the leader, but finally decides he must give his view. The military mindset instilled by his training is simply inescapable, he explains, “During the war I was trained, specially trained. The most important thing, after stay alive, was follow orders. We are not working for ourselves but for an organization. An organization that makes decisions and gives us our orders. We must follow those orders or all is lost. Our orders were to deliver the artifact, being nice to the petty criminal merchant was not an order. Keeping him sweet for future use by the organization was not an order. Whether it was or was not going out of our way to escort him was not an issue. His presence was not in our orders and could jeopardize the mission. We must always follow orders in the most direct and efficient manner, it is the only way”

He can now move on and consider leadership. The chance taken to allow the Hob to come along risked the mission. The mission objective is all important. Team leaders of the group must be respected by all. Leaders may sometimes need to be a diplomat within the group. Was this what I witnessed. Maybe. Probably?. I shall wait. See if anyone is unwilling to follow Gitto. Then I shall decide. We did take a risk, an risk unnecessary risk. We did on the other hand succeed.

[Langy]

Sil shakes his head as the others talk, staying out of the conversation and frowning. It was obvious that these others were trained quite differently from himself. Finally, after Seid finished speaking Sil broke in. “Following orders is what I was advocating we do. I have magic that would have allowed us to facilitate an interrogation, so performing said interrogation would not have caused undo hardship. Rushing headlong into situations we know nothing about is the worst method of following orders I have ever heard. It is obvious none of you have been involved in espionage before. We are not a military organization to blindly follow our orders. Improvisation is essential, as is intelligence on our enemy. I will take no part in following orders in the ‘most direct manner possible’. In the world of spies and assassins, that way only leads
death.” Turning to Axis, Sil shakes his head and keeps the carpet over his shoulders, refusing to hand it over. “And I will not entrust a man I know nothing of to travel alone with our most expensive posession. You are much too secretive to be trusted, as are most of you. I will not relinquish the carpet into your hands. I know nothing of you other than your name. I would not put my worst sculpture in your hands, much less what may be a highly expensive magical item.” Sil stopped speaking and looked to the others, watching their reactions.

[Stychkn]

Darrin
shakes his head, “Our mission was not to gather information on the would be attackers, it was to deliver the beetle. But that is besides the point now, would you follow Gitto?” he says to Sil.

[Langy]

Sil shakes his head. “I will not follow anyone I have known for less than an hour. That said, I will listen to his advice, but I refuse to follow orders blindly like some automaton. Especially so due to the utter lack of forward thinking everyone else on this so-called team is showing.”

[Stychkn]

“When our lives are on the line, there might not be time for discussion, choices must be made fast” Darrin says as he pulls out his coin purse. “But we will deal with that later. I am on my own time now, so I am going to go spend that in a more.. pleasurable fashion.” Pulling out 5 gold pieces Darrin hands them over to Axis. “We know it flies, but we need to know the words to activate it and what other powers it might posses.” he says towards Gitto as Axis takes the coins. “Axis would not attempt to cheat us so soon, not while he has to continue to work with us. You know how accidents happen” he says with a wink and a sly smile to Axis. “I will see you all later” Darrin says as he walks off.

[Plugsy]

Seid is worried now by this failure to agree on a leader.
“We need a leader, I shall tell you a story I was told in training of how several lives were saved by the leaders orders being followed. It was important training for anyone from my unit. We had a different officer in charge on every mission. Respect needed to be automatic, not earned.”

Being slightly uncomfortable by the apparent discord amongst the team he decides to leave his story for another time and says,
“I’ll save my example for another time. It has just been pointed out we are now on our own time. I’ll not keep anyone here whilst they hear my tale. Suffice for now is to say that the tale shows how a number of lives were saved by following orders immeditely, directly and unquestioningly.”

[Sithobi1]

The
human sits in a chair, looking at Sil fixedly. “So you’re just going to sit there and watch the carpet until we get another order? I’m aware that warforged don’t sleep, but, because of your own thoughts, we can’t leave you alone with the carpet either…Which means we need to rotate people to watch you watch other members of your party? Stop me when you’ve figured out how ridiculous this is. I like your perspective on other matters, but this is quite…problematic.”

[Langy]

Sil stares blankly at Axis as he questions the Warforged. “The natural solution would be to simply pair off. I see no reason why I can not accompany you to this creature who can identify the carpet’s magical properties unless you are planning on stealing or selling the carpet yourself. There should be no other reason for you to hurry off alone. I can easily do my work anywhere, and I have no other needs at this moment.”

Turning to Seid, Sil shakes his head. “Respect of ones superiors should be automatic – however, none of you are my superior. Our ranks, insofar as we have any, are all equal. And remember, we are not a military force. In the military, a squad all following one person’s orders is the natural order of things due to simplification of the command structure. Rigid comformality is highly desireable in a military. In espionage, however, flexibility is much more important. We should not be beholden to a single leader. I would recommend that, if the need is urgent, you simply communicate it as such, for example by yelling ‘now’ when giving a command. In non-urgent situations I see no need for a single leader.”

[Plugsy]

Seid mulls over what Sil has said before responding.
“I can see that we aren’t a military force, but we are supposed to be a team. You propose a team without a captain. A team whose members will likely be in situations which are dangerous. If the team cannot decide on a course of action quickly in a dangerous position do we die whilst the issue is debated. It surely is mistaken to be leaderless. You propose shouting out “now” but that doesn’t deal with conflicting shouts of “now. Look at the current situation with the carpet, you can’t even agree who should hold the thing. Does that suggest that, when under threat, agreement can be reached by shouting?”

[Troll]

As Gitto watches this exchange… he comes to the conclusion that he doesn’t want to be ‘leader’ of these bickering and headstrong individuals.

[Langy]

“Then we can act seperately. The team can split apart and go their own ways, so long as it accomplishes the mission. I will not follow a single leader blindly. None of us have known the others for longer than a single hour. We can not make an informed decision as to who should be leader – this is my main issue with following any of you. If we had been appointed a leader or given any other information about the others in the team, I would be less hesitant – as it stands, however, I trust none of you, and you should not trust each other. A leader in a military organization has the organization vouching for the leader’s quality – here we do not have anything like that. I suggest we go leaderless only as long as we can not agree on a single leader – once we know each other well enough, choosing a leader may be feasible. As is, it is not.”

[Plugsy]

Séid is feeling a little wrong footed. He’s acutely aware of his highly strung nature yet is determined to keep a lid on it with his new colleagues. He begins pacing in a slightly jerky manner.

“Okay, no leader for now. Trouble in the making I think but we’ll never move on otherwise”

[Troll]

“Well. Let us see how that works in the days ahead. Perhaps someone will provide the leadership that all find acceptable.” Gitto says.

View
Welcome to your Adventure Log!
A blog for your campaign

Every campaign gets an Adventure Log, a blog for your adventures!

While the wiki is great for organizing your campaign world, it’s not the best way to chronicle your adventures. For that purpose, you need a blog!

The Adventure Log will allow you to chronologically order the happenings of your campaign. It serves as the record of what has passed. After each gaming session, come to the Adventure Log and write up what happened. In time, it will grow into a great story!

Best of all, each Adventure Log post is also a wiki page! You can link back and forth with your wiki, characters, and so forth as you wish.

One final tip: Before you jump in and try to write up the entire history for your campaign, take a deep breath. Rather than spending days writing and getting exhausted, I would suggest writing a quick “Story So Far” with only a summary. Then, get back to gaming! Grow your Adventure Log over time, rather than all at once.

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.